1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

35th anniversary of Munich.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by wickedwritah, Sep 5, 2007.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Today is the anniversary of the failed rescue operation. Cold Pizza is replaying some old Jim McKay footage.

2. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

CBC did a really awesome documentary on this and I viewed it in September. You should really watch it if you can. I think the CBC store might be selling it. Great detail by detail coverage of what went down and excellent visuals. The interviews with significant others who lost loved ones really added to the emotional element of the documentary and CBC did a great job in making the viewer know who the victims were in this tragedy.

3. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

The book and documentary "One Day in September" are both excellent. I preferred the book, but the images in the documentary were very powerful.

4. Cansportschick

Dyno, maybe CBC aired the one that I saw because it was the same title.

5. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

The book is heartbreaking; a phenomenal, depressing, thought-provoking read.

6. Cansportschick

This documentary is one of my favourites of all time. Love how it was pieced together.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Not to diminish what happened on that very terrible and sad day, but I propose a new rule: Retrospectives of historical events must come only on anniversaries that end in a zero (10, 20, 50, etc.)
    There's no need to give special attention to the 35th anniversary of anything.

8. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

In some cosmic coincidence, when I packed up my apartment to move over the weekend, the only book I left out to read was "One Day in September." Didn't realize it was the 30th anniversary unless it was subconsiously.[/twilightzonemusic]

The documentary is outstanding. The book is very good so far.

9. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

hear, hear.

(well, you could argue for 25th) but no other fives.

10. joe

joe Active Member

I wonder why anniversaries that end in zero are considered more -- what? -- poignant, important, maybe more authentic than others? There's nothing intrinsically inherent about those numbers, yet we attach, in my view, undue importance to them. I mean, what are we saying? We remember it more deeply because it's been 10 or 20 or 30 years hence?
    I don't think there's a need to give special attention to any anniversaries of historical events, with the exception of the woman in your life (from the dumb but not stupid file).
    My two cents.

Draft saved Draft deleted