1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

68 Philadelphia Inquirer newsroom layoffs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by CatchMeUp, Jan 2, 2007.

1. CatchMeUp

CatchMeUp Member

The other shoe has dropped. My God, when does it end?

http://www.timesleader.com/mld/timesleader/16367567.htm

2. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

That's a nice Happy New Year greeting for those folks, huh? That stinks.

3. McNuggetsMan

McNuggetsMan Active Member

Anyone know how hard the sports staff got hit?

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

As always in these sad situations, if you have a list you don't want to post yourself send it to me via PM.

5. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, this is probably the first of many cutbacks, buyouts and layoffs this year in your profession.

Last year was bad enough but this year will probably be worse. Count your blessings if you are solidly employed.

Good luck.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Nice, judicious buy, Tierney, you lump.

7. boots

boots New Member

Here is the situation. Every department head will have a list of untouchables, people that they can't do with out. After the untouchables, it's open season and will come down to senority. Some talented people will be shown the door, no question about it.

8. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

http://blogs.philly.com/blinq/2007/01/most_of_the_nam.html

9. patchs

patchs Active Member

Dave Aldridge was one of the unlucky ones, anyone want to make a wisecrack?

10. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

At Aldridge has a TV gig with TNT, right? The link lists a sports copy editor, David Cohen, as being laid off.

11. boots

boots New Member

Haven't talked to Cohen but if its ture, it's too bad. He's a good guy as is Dave. It's just another sign that this business is dying. Newspapers as we know it won't be around in 20 years. It's time to face the music people.
    The bottom line is that people aren't shelling out the coins to buy a paper when they can go on line or wait for a talking head on the boob tube.
    I have a feeling that this is just a tremor in the force.

12. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

I'm starting a new gig later this month, and I'm scared shitless. Not that I have much seniority where I'm at now (two people below me and a little more than a year here myself) but I'll be low man at my next paper.

A good friend of mine keeps saying not to worry, that if the paper was going to lay off or is/was mired in bad times, my new position wouldn't have been available in the first place.

I'm heading to a bigger circulation, in a bigger city and covering a better beat. It also pays more than where I'm at now. But still, everyone has to wonder who will be left standing a year from now.

Draft saved Draft deleted