1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

All Purpose UFC/MMA/That Kind Of Thing Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mr7134, Dec 11, 2006.

1. Mr7134

Mr7134 Member

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Re: "60 Minutes" piece on UFC/MMA

Pretty good story. Loved the lead...(paraphrasing): "If there is a baseball game on one street corner, a football game on another corner, a basketball game on another corner and a fight breaks out on the fourth corner...everyone from the other three corners is going to go watch the fight." How true.

3. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Good story.

Also, I was surprised at how much I like Anderson Cooper on the show. His story wasn't anything award winning, but I could see him growing into a role their very nicely. He had one really bad stand-up where the camera was shoved right into his face way too close.

4. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

i had no clue it was such a cash cow. damn.

personally, i can't stomach that stuff. fighting is cool, but these guys are beating the shit out of each other.

nice, though, to see fake wrestling falling out of the picture.

5. Re: "60 Minutes" piece on UFC/MMA

That MMA seems to draw less interest here on a board populated by people in the sports media biz than seemingly anywhere else is a pretty damning indictment on how far behind the curve we've been with this sport.

6. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

And proud of it.
    That's no sport. I don't care how many people pay to watch it. People watched Dancing With The Stars, too. Not a sport.

7. Re: "60 Minutes" piece on UFC/MMA

So you blend freestyle wrestling, Greco-Roman wrestling, boxing, judo and taekwondo, which are all Olympic sports, and throw in several other martial arts disciplines, and are proud to say that you don't consider the finished product a sport. Brilliant.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Bruce, I don't know that I'd be basing my argument on whether UF is a sport on the Olympics.

According to them, ballroom dancing is a sport, while baseball is not.

Just saying.

9. Re: "60 Minutes" piece on UFC/MMA

OK then Zeke, under what guidelines would you call collegiate-style wrestling, which is where a lot of the most successful UFC fighters come from, "not a sport?"

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Wrestling is a sport. In college, in high school, people compete under a fairly consistent set of rules.

UF is people beating the shit out of each other. They have one-off versions of this crap in every podunk town in the country, there is no coherent set of rules and the people come to swill cheap beer and watch a couple of cranked-up meatheads crack each other's heads.

That ain't a sport.

11. Re: "60 Minutes" piece on UFC/MMA

No, actually there are weight classes, rounds, time limits, a list of something like 35 fouls that are prohibited, doctors in attendance, state athletic commission oversight, and there's never been an injury worse than a broken arm (edit: at least in the UFC. Can't vouch for every podunk show out there). At least learn what it is and isn't before jumping to conclusions.

12. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

Bruce -

People want to watch other people beating the shit out of each other. They don't want to read about it.

I've read a couple of trend stories on the emergence of UFC but I don't think you can make a logical argument that sports pages should start covering the sport on a regular basis though.

Draft saved Draft deleted