1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

35 years since the ultimate screw job

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by kingcreole, Sep 10, 2007.

1. Mmac

Mmac Guest

I've heard the story too, Okie, so don't think its an urban legend. Knight loved Iba, he used to fly him into Bloomington right up until the day he died.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

I know you are, wicked.
    Others, however, simply prefer to rant like the jerk he is.

3. markvid

markvid Guest

Not in any way am I saying you guys are wrong on the Knight story, but I remember in the HBO documentary on the 1980 US hockey team, they specifically mentioned that the Russian coach (Tikhonov) shafted a goalie out of a gold in 1976 so he could take it.
    I didn't realize coaches got medals, too. Was that something recent?

4. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Wait, John Wooden was never an Olympic head coach?
    Now that's a screw job, if accurate. Crapsticks, I would have made Wooden the coach a couple of years ago over Larry Brown to correct that injustice.
    I'm no expert, but I always thought that '92 was the only time the U.S. sent the very best possible American players to the Olympics.
    So as far as '72 goes, what happened then wasn't a huge surprise.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

If I recall, John Wooden never wanted to be the Olympic coach. He was a "system" coach and there is no way a thrown-together group of players could master the game the way Wooden wanted it played.

Don't forget, Wooden's Pyramid of Success was built on old world principles...so idiot's like stardouche would have ripped him, too, for not turning a group of players from diverse systems and backgrounds into the greatest killing machine in basketball history.

6. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Wasn't Wooden's Pyramid of Success based on Sam Gilbert's wallet?

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

He won a title or two before Gilbert opened it wide.

8. Yeah, but the dynasty was all Sam.

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Fenian, maybe at the beginning, but I'm thinking at some point, the tables would've turned.

Wanna play for a winner? Even if you won't get paid?

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Knight, in fact, was a low-level assistant on the 1972 team (along with Joe B. Hall, who had just taken over from Rupp at UK).

I daresay Knight, who would know as well as anybody, would agree 100.000 percent with my assertion that the U.S. invariably gets screwed by the refs in international play.

When Knight coached the 1984 team, he had only one game closer than 19 points, and won the gold-medal game 96-65. He wasn't going to fuck around with a 53-51 game and allow it to stay close enough for the refs to fuck him out of it.

11. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

WORST CALLS IN SPORTS HISTORY, IN ORDER:

1) fifth down, colorado vs. mizzou, 1990
    2) unsportsmanlike conduct, vanderbilt vs. florida, 2005
    3) commies get a bazillion chances to score, 1972 olympic basketball

this cannot be argued.

12. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

In order? Seriously, a regular season college game finishes ahead of a bogus Olympics finish back when the Olympics mattered?

I think I'll violate the rules and argue.

Draft saved Draft deleted