1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

35-year-old gets life for pot

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Point of Order, May 7, 2011.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I'd rather it cost taxpayers money than cost someone innocent a life because some weedhead decides to drive his car, or a group of druggies decide to shoot it out and are so drug-addled, they can't shoot straight.

He's been told it's against the law, and he's continually defied it. Not once. Not twice. Not three times. Four times. And it's not like he's defying the law for the actual betterment of society. Time for him to learn a hard lesson. Unfortunatly, the judge had to be overly harsh.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Legalizing pot may lead to increased use, but it would be a big leap to say that increased use would lead to a large enough increase in residual costs that could offset the savings realized in law enforcement and the corrections system.
    Why would there be lower productivity? Why would it lead to increased use of "harder" drugs?

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Potheads are about the last people I'd expect to get into a gunfight. They just wanna sit at home and eat Doritos. Or bad wings.

I'd also like to know the number of DUI/marijuana arrests nationwide. I bet it's much lower than DUI/crack/alcohol/Ambien/any other substance.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Because of this:

I've seen what marijuana smoking does to people's initiative and productivity.

You'd likely see lost productivity, increased absenteeism, increased unemployment, and increased on-the-job usage.

I know supporters of marijuana hate the "gateway drug" argument, but I don't think there's any denying that it's true.

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

And candy cigs are a gateway to the real thing.

And cigarettes are a gateway to weed.

And wine coolers are a gateway to beer/booze.

And robbery is a gateway to murder.

Look, the gateway argument is true to some extent, but in a society based on free will and such, it doesn't hold much water with me. People always will make bad choices, whether it's legal to make that choice or not.

You make a choice, you know the consequences. Smoke a joint a week before your pre-employment drug test, you won't get the job. If you're not enough of an adult/responsible person to realize that, tough.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

So you answer to my question is because you think it would?
    Strong argument.

I know supporters of marijuana hate the "gateway drug" argument, but I don't think there's any denying that it's true.
    [/quote]

Of course there's an argument against the 'gateway' foolishness. It's foolish.
    Water must be a 'gateway' because 100 percent of heroin users drank water before using heroin.
    It's ludicrous. Not only can I deny the veracity of that 'gateway' argument, I'm constantly shocked when otherwise rational people can't see how patently ridiculous it is.

7. YankeeFan

Yeah, and get arrested for marijuana four times and you go to jail for life.

Look, I don't necessarily disagree with you.

I understand the argument for legalization and am sympathetic towards it. But I do think it would be a net loss for the country.

And, if we're going to legalize it then people do need to live with the consequences of their actions, and right now, that's not the case.

So, just legalizing it absent other changes would, I fear, be a disaster.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

It isn't true to any extent.

9. YankeeFan

So, what do you think it would do? Nothing?

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Again, multiple things can be equally true. I'm not sticking up for the guy who got caught selling pot illegally.

11. YankeeFan

I'm sorry, but you know it is.

And, only a pot smoker, wanting to justify their own behavior would argue otherwise.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I've never seen evidence that would indicate a nationwide loss of productivity.
    Anyway, I've got to get out of here. I'll check back later.

Draft saved Draft deleted