1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

35 Truisms That Couldn't Be Truer

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by mpcincal, Nov 22, 2009.

1. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

May sound like a stupid question, what are scrantons? Never heard of them before. Are those the multiple guess tests?

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Scan Trons. The little bubble pages you fill out, and then they just slide them through a machine real fast, which scans for the right answer.

3. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Colleges use them all the time for multiple-choice tests (and classes where GAs are grading the tests). If you took the ACT or SAT, you were taking it on the same format.

4. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

It's late, just finished my last shift heading into my first real time off in more than a year. No wonder Scranton didn't make sense.

Yeah we still called those multiple choice, regardless of the format, for me and my friends, they were multiple guess.

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Especially if it's your only pair of dress shoes and you're going to a job interview.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I liked this one:

17. MapQuest really needs to start their directions on #5. Pretty sure I know how to get out of my neighborhood.

I rarely use MapQuest anymore, but we used to go to fly into cities and print out specific directions to places we needed to be. The directions from the airport would always include 40 steps and a page of directions to get you out of the airport (including every turn every .1 miles to navigate through a terminal).

7. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

The Mario Kart one nearly had me ROTFLMAO. I settled for a hearty chuckle instead.

8. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

I used to have to walk to the grocery store, which was like four blocks from my place. I would carry all my stuff home, by the time I got to stairs at my building it felt like my arms were on fire.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I do that now (third floor) but beyond that, I leave anything large that doesn't have to be refrigerated in the car, and I bring it in after work the next day. 12-packs of soda, cat litter, things like that? You can wait.

And Double J: I don't need a red light, son.

10. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Or as we called them in high school, Scum Trons.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

15 mph is kind of slow...

12. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

As a journalist-turned-teacher who gives the occasional multiple choice test, I can assure you that there's no reason to panic if the same answer appears many times in a row. When we write tests, we're often so under the gun we don't even know how the answers line up until we make up the key, which is often after we've given the test and are ready to run it thru. Or we're working off old versions of tests and update them to improve them and change an answer choice here and there resulting in perhaps a few Cs in a row. Occasionally we'll notice and shift a couple of answers, but I've given plenty of multiple-choice tests where there's like 5 of the same answer in a row.

Draft saved Draft deleted