1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

35 second shot clock

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Ilmago, Feb 5, 2010.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

The rule that has to change is calling a timeout after scoring. Once you score, you no longer have possession and should not be able to call timeout.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

To me, they should either cut down the number of timeouts per team per game, or, in the last minute of the game, only permit a couple of 5-second timeouts just to stop the clock.

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I've only ever seen one high-school game with a shot clock, and it was a travesty. Whoever was running it didn't know what the hell they were doing; the clock wasn't reset at least four or five times, but the refs never overruled it.

And in my reporting days, I know I was never all that disappointed when a team decided to run a minute of clock before shooting, because that was a minute of clock that ran without stopping.

4. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

You don't have to have possession to call timeout if it's a dead ball.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Ball is not dead after made shot...clock is still running.
    Bad rule that slows games to a crawl

6. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

But the shot clock isn't running until it's inbounded. And the clock does stop after a made shot in the final minute of the game or overtime, when a lot of said timeouts are used. There are lots of things that slow a game to a crawl, but this isn't a big deal. I'd rather take two timeouts away from each team in games with media timeouts.

7. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Most high school teams aren't disciplined enough to hold the ball for longer than 30-35 seconds at a time. The ones that are, shouldn't be penalized.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

the biggest problem with college basketball is players jumping ship after freshman season.

that is an obstacle that won't be over come.

to me many of the games all blend together with just different color uniforms on court.

One of things that makes college football so great is that players stay around for a while and diverse offenses.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

You want to change the game? How about this...

1. No more free throws. Every foul stops play and gives one point plus possession to the offensive team. They would then be given the ball in the middle of the jump circle at half court. The defender must stay outside the circle, and is allowed to defend once the ball leaves the circle.

If it's a shooting foul and the shot is made, the possession changes.

2. Push the three point line back five feet. Every asshole on the court should not be able to take a three and have a 33 percent chance at worst of making the damn thing. If a team wants to make up a 10-point deficit, they would fast break; they do not jack threes so quickly.

3. Keep the shot clock right where it is.

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Those changes would dramatically shift the balance of the game in favor in big men and against guards.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Require coaches remain seated during play.

12. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

When Massachusetts high schools adopted the shot clock for boys games about 15 years ago (the girls had it a few years before that) one coach who didn't like it said "If you don't like a team stalling on you, learn to defend against it."

Draft saved Draft deleted