1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

35 second shot clock

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Ilmago, Feb 5, 2010.

1. Ilmago

Ilmago Guest

Since a lot of you guys enjoy NCAA Basketball, I was curious to know what are your thoughts on the 35 second shot clock, do you think it's too long or just right?

Thoughts and explanations.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I haven't thought about it for about 15 years. So it must be just right.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Just like Football bat I forgot about it. Seems to me that any rule that stays in background is effective.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

In combination with the 3-point shot, the shot clock has had dramatic, completely unintended and mostly unforeseen consequences: the predominant strategy at every level of basketball now is to milk the shot clock on every possession -- never take a shot with less than 5 seconds on the clock unless it's a dunk/layup or a wide-open 3-pointer.

We've now gone through a full generation with the clock and 3-point shot; the first players who came up through HS and college with them are now head coaches, they literally cannot remember the game without them.

The effects are spreading even to states without the clock in HS play. Michigan has no clock in HS basketball, but I guarantee you average scoring (both boys and girls) is down 20% from 20 years ago.

As far as the NCAA clock is concerned, whatever you change to shot clock to (30, 24, 45 etc etc), coaches will insist on milking the clock until the last second.

The one change I would put in would be to make all field goal attempts taken in the first 8 seconds of a possession count three points, regardless of location. This would serve as an enema/laxative for the constipationary effects of the current rules, which encourage clock-milking sludgeball.

5. Football_Bat

That's just the ghost of Hank Iba reasserting itself: Work patiently for a good shot. That's almost as old as basketball itself. The only difference is they're doing it within 35 seconds instead of holding the ball for up to 12 minutes at a time like those legendary low-scoring Dean Smith teams circa 1982.

6. Boom_70

"4 Corners" could be fun to watch though.

7. Football_Bat

If you were a Tar Heel, I'm sure it was.

Nobody would run it today. The poorest free throw shooter would be parading to the line as soon as they got into the bonus.

8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I'm fine with the :35 in college, just as there should be a :35 shot clock in high school.

9. Boom_70

First saw "4 corners" when George Karl was playing for Tar heels. NIT tournament. Thought it was the coolest thing going the way they whipped ball around. It had a Harlem Globetrotter quality.

10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

As a kid growing up a Marquette fan at the time, it sure was fun to watch North Carolina run the 4 Corners after taking the lead in the 1977 title game.

It shattered all the momentum the Tar Heels had after going on a run to take the lead, allowing Marquette to go on to victory.

11. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Agreed.

12. Simon

Simon Active Member

The main problem with college basketball that makes it hard for me to watch has nothing to do with the shotclock and has everything to do with the four TV timeouts every half and the 10 other timeouts that get called during the game. ZZZZZZZ

Draft saved Draft deleted