1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rick Hummel - Hall of Famer

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by unwitty, Dec 6, 2006.

1. unwitty

unwitty Member

Congrats...

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/cardinals/story/0D450BDC32878E698625723C0048BB68?OpenDocument

Post-Dispatch's Hummel named to Hall of Fame
    By Joe Strauss

"The Baseball Writers Association of America this morning announced Post-Dispatch baseball columnist Rick Hummel as winner of the Spink Award, and with it enshrinement into the writers’ wing of the National Baseball Hall of Fame.

Hummel, 60, received overwhelming support from the association’s membership and becomes the third St. Louis media member to be honored, joining former Post-Dispatch sports editor Bob Broeg and announcer Jack Buck.

Hired by Broeg in 1971, Hummel has reported on the Cardinals since 1973, including 24 seasons as lead beat writer and five as columnist."

2. casty33

casty33 Active Member

I am happy for Commissioner Hummell. He has worked hard for this.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Couldn't happen to a nicer -- or more knowledgable -- guy.

Congratulations, Mr. Hummel.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Congrats to Rick Hummel. A well-deserved honor.

(Not raining on the parade, but for the sake of accuracy: There is no such thing as "the writers' wing" in the Hall of Fame. He is a Spink Award winner, a monumental honor, the highest of the high that you can win as a baseball writer. But there is no "wing". And there is no "enshrinement". ... It's a commonly misreported claim, but just plain wrong. ... Now carry on with the Hummel adoration.)

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Talk about making me feel old....Very well deserved, and I'm glad he's has scaled back in recent years; he deserved some time outside the press box. Now, how could Bob Broeg be in and not Bob Burnes?

6. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

From what I know, I don't think the "scaling back" was at all voluntary.

But he has made the best of. A real pro. Congrats to the Commish.

7. shockey

shockey Active Member

mazel tov! good things, rick. :D :D :D

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I'm surprised to learn he's "only" 60.

I guess the first year I ever opened a Sporting News (1973) and saw his name was his first year on the beat.

9. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I don't think '73 is an accurate start date for him as a full-time Cardinals beat guy. I think it's more like '76. Neal Russo was still around in '73.

But that's a mere trivial quibble.

This is a great selection. Rick Hummel is a first-class guy and one of the hardest-working writers I've ever seen. I'm glad to see his efforts rewarded

10. skippy05

skippy05 Member

A great writer and a great person. I've worked with him quite a bit and you won't find nicer, more helpful guy. One of the few media members of his stature with no ego whatsoever...

11. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Just for the record, his first year on the beat was '78.

12. Space Monkey

Space Monkey Member

How many sports editors have demoted hall of famers?

Rick Hummel is a better person than he is a baseball writer, and he's a hall of fame baseball writer.

Draft saved Draft deleted