1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The thread with the most violent threadjack ever

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Clever username, Nov 30, 2006.

1. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

BC-People-Longoria-Parker, 1st Ld-Writethru,0245
    Desperate no more: Eva Longoria engaged
    Eva Longoria to tie the knot with her beau, San Antonio Spurs basketball star Tony Parker
    Eds: RECASTS lead. Moving on entertainment and sports services.
    AP Photo NY153
    NEW YORK (AP) — Her marriage didn’t work out on “Desperate Housewives,” but things are looking rosy in real life for Eva Longoria: She’s engaged to her beau, basketball star Tony Parker.
    “Tony flew into Los Angeles last night after his game and surprised Eva at her home as she got off work,” Liza Anderson told The Associated Press on Thursday via e-mail.
    “The proposal was romantic and perfect. The couple plans to wed in France in the summer of 2007 in what they describe as a big, happy ceremony with lots of family and friends.”
    The 31-year-old Longoria, who plays crafty Gabrielle Solis on the hit ABC show, met Parker, a 24-year-old Frenchman, in the San Antonio Spurs’ locker room after a game two years ago.
    Longoria divorced Tyler Christopher, who stars on ABC’s “General Hospital,” in 2004, after two years of marriage.
    ———
    On the Net:
    Eva Longoria: http://www.evalongoria.com/
    NBA Web site: http://www.nba.com/playerfile/tony—parker/

Holy fucking shit why is this on the sports wire? Who gives a fuck? Urge to kill rising, rising, RISING

2. Re: WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY is this on the AP wire? Why?

You know you don't have to run everything that moves on the wire, right?

Celebrity news annoys me, too. But people like it, so why not push that through?

3. Canyonero!

Canyonero! Member

Re: WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY is this on the AP wire? Why?

At the risk of getting flamed, people love celebrity news/gossip. I know it hardly qualifies as news, but papers might be smart to have celebrity rag sections -- not at the expense of the real news, but in addition to. It might bring in new readers, and who knows? Maybe those new readers will cruise over to the sports and news sections after they've read up on Jessica Simpson.

4. Kaylee

Kaylee Member

I've said this a bit in the past, but it bears repeating...

Yes, the popular tastes of the public lean toward dreck. When Alexander Pope wrote his "Essay on Man", I'm doubting the breathless following of anorexic starlets and socially malformed athletes wasn't what he had in mind. Were my daily paper tailored to my own tastes, celebrity news and anything even remotely resembling Terrell Owens would be banned for life.

But here's another reality: People will get their news whether we (collectively) provide it or not. So when it doesn't mean sacrificing Greater Ideals, I'm all for papers running some fluff if it moves copies.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

It's one of ESPN.com's headlines.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Because she's freakin hot?

7. MGoBlue

MGoBlue Member

She's freaking hot? I don't see it.

8. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

I've been waiting a long time for someone to say that. Never in my lifetime has a nice ass and absolutely nothing else carried a woman to such heights of "she's hot" celebrity.

Not that I wouldn't hit it.

Just sayin'.

(And hi, BYH!)

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Are you blind, deaf and lacking the requisite equipment?

Good God man she's a knockout.

(And hi Wingman! Welcome back!)

10. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

Eh. Just not my style.

One man's trash, and so forth.

She's no Lauren Graham, for damnsure.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'm with Wingy here. I don't like the way she prances around on the show.

12. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Her face looks like it's made out of plastic. I'm not into the whole shotgun blast of makeup look.

Draft saved Draft deleted