1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Good Podcasts

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Cadet, Nov 12, 2006.

1. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I'm so sick of my workout playlist, someone suggested I look up some podcasts. Not sure where to start. Any suggestions? Sports, news, humor, whatever, as long as it's good stuff.

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Dave Ramsey's voice is intoxicating. I don't know why. And I'm not sure he would be good for workout music. But he was great to listen to, driving home from work at 1 a.m. before going to sleep. And his money advice was pretty sound, too.

4. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'll pimp a coupla old poker buddies of mine at the St. Pete Times. Find their "Ante Up" podcast at sptimes.com. Just two guys talking cards, and they occasionally land pros such as Jennifer Harman for interviews. If you're a poker junkie, it's solid. If not, carry on...

6. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

They Might Be Giants do a funky little podcast. I get it via my iTunes, though I have no rememberance of how and I'm computer illiterate.

you can try www.theymightbegiants.com

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

What IS a podcast? Do you have to have an iPod to use one?

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

It's just an audio file.

It can be played on the computer or on an iPod -- basically on anything that plays MP3s. The content can be any audio, but usually it's an epsiode of a radio show (Internet or traditional), something along those lines.

9. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

i love npr's most e-mailed stories
    i also subscribe to npr's story of the day, npr movies, npr music. also do espn's college football and the slate daily podcast

love me some podcasts. go to itunes (if you use itunes) and just browse. amazing what you'll find

10. leo1

leo1 Active Member

hoops, i agree that npr has some great podcasts. almost any npr show has a podcast either of the full version or an abbreviated version.

i recently added espn's PTI podcast which is just the audio of the show from the previous day - without commercials.

i just joined the ipod world a couple of weeks ago but i noticed that mlb.com has some great looking podcasts that i subscribed to but are only updated during the regular season -- wrap up of the previous day, fantasy baseball stuff, that sort of thing. as far as i can tell nfl.com doesn't have any podcasts although i only spend a few minutes searching for them so someone correct me if i'm wrong.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

NPR story of the day is a must. I walk between several places in the morning and it is the perfect length for one leg of my walk.

Admittedly, I haven't listened to it in months, but mlb.com has this really, long, insufferable podcast hosted by Ed Randall, which is funny once or twice for the unintentional comedy value. He basically spends a half hour fawning over some scout/ex-player, whose name you hadn't thought about in 20 years, making the guy out to be the greatest thing to happen to baseball since Branch Rickey and Jackie Robinson. His build-ups are wofth the download alone: "... a man, who needs no introduction on these airwaves. He has changed the game in innumerable ways, and I for one am humbled to speaking to him. He's a deaer friend, whom I have known since 1975, when we both were scouting the Mexican League together--ah, the good old days--and he's a heck of a guy, too. I welcome to my broadcast..."

12. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

My regular podcasts, all of which can be found at iTunes:

-- The Folkways Collection: A 24-part radio documentary done by CKUA in Canada looking at Folkways Records, which was purchased in the early '80s by the Smithsonian, which issues great old blues, folk, spoken word and native recordings from around the world.
    -- This American Life: Ira Glass' weekly PRI broadcast is now available for free. Never a week goes by that it's not funny, poignant, informative, heartstring-tugging or the whole lot wrapped into one.
    -- A Bluegrass and Old Time Music Radio Hour: An old guy by the name of Jack W. Lewis unleashes his knowledge of bluegrass and other old timey music on the Internet. There's some unintentional comedy when he spells out even the most obvious of band Web sites, but this is good stuff if you like that kind of music. It comes out every two weeks; last episode featured a Swedish bluegrass band, of all things.
    -- Football Weekly on Guardian Unlimited: Mentioned earlier on this thread and elsewhere on the board, which turned me onto it.
    -- The Ricky Gervais Show: There are three free holiday podcasts (Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas) with Ricky, Steve Merchant and Karl Pilkington. Halloween was tremendously funny, as you'd expect. It's as simple as the three of them sitting around a studio chatting, but I'd put Gervais on my list of three people living or dead to have dinner with anytime. Their prior shows, which they claim to be the most downloaded podcasts in history, are now available as audiobooks.

Draft saved Draft deleted