1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I know there's a flaw in this reasoning somewhere

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smallpotatoes, Nov 2, 2006.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

The other day, Rush Limbaugh was saying the 100 servicemen killed in Iraq in October was no reason to get out of there because more people are typically murdered in a month in the US, and he cited some author who pointed out that more people are murdered in California in a month.
    I know his logic is flawed. I just can't figure out what the flaw is.

2. pallister

pallister Guest

Just wait until morning, when plenty of experts will be around to tell you what you're thinking.

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

There are 33.8 million people here in California.

There are about 120,000 US servicemen and women on the ground in Iraq.

You do the math -- the ratios aren't nearly the same. And it sounds like Rush thinks the people in uniform are expendable. Oh, wait, only Democrats get in trouble for insulting the troops.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Wonder how differently Rush would feel about losing 100 soldiers this month if not for that "trick football knee" that made him ineligible for the draft. Wink wink.

Coward.

5. And let's remember that the President Of The United States -- not to mention The Greatest Fucking Hero In The World (cue graphic) -- went on the radio program yesterday with this reprehensible, drug-addled sex tourist.
    We should all be so proud.

6. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

OF the numbers of our young people in Iraq, 100 would NOT be murdered here in a month.

It would take a lot for one of those tough sons of/bitches to be murdered.

Maybe one would be murdered in a month.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Why do you hate America?

8. I thought it was a butt boil.

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

Spot on.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Actually it was a pilonidal cyst. But it's a bullshit reason because I had two fraternity brothers who were in ROTC who both had the same condition. Each one had it fixed (i.e. cut out), and both got their commissions.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

The other flaw in that logic can be revealed if you simply ask Rush: Would it be OK for California's murder rate to double?

The proportions make a better counterargument, however.

12. I would suggest that Rush go to Compton and then to Ramadi.
    Compare and contrast, as the nuns say.

Draft saved Draft deleted