1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FWIW: MacPhail steps down as Cubs' prez

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by D-3 Fan, Oct 1, 2006.

1. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

I posted this on the baseball thread, but in case no one caught it or read it yet. I'm listening to the Cubs' post-game and MacPhail is addressing the media and have announced he is resigning as team president.

2. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

This Cubs fan wants to see the Tribune Company sell the team to an owner who is actually interested in winning a championship instead of just racking up profits.

Of course, the latter is exactly the reason why there is zero chance of the Tribsters getting out.

3. DyePack

DyePack New Member

He's basically falling on the sword right now.

This season may well have featured the worst baseball coverage of any team in any major market by a print medium. Phil Rogers and Paul Sullivan have been absolutely abysmal in every possible area, and they should be the next ones out the door.

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I agree with DyePack. Not sure what, if any, difference having McDonough at the top makes.

5. DyePack

DyePack New Member

McDonough comes from the marketing wing, so let's hope the interim stint is quite short.

6. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Explain?

7. DyePack

DyePack New Member

In due time.

8. D-3 Fan

Didn't the Tribune Co. (owners of the Cubs) had a sit-down with the Tribune Cubs beat writers and tear into them for ripping the team in their own newspaper? I could have sworn I heard something of this during the summer.

9. DyePack

DyePack New Member

News conference in 10 minutes, likely to announce Dusty will hit the road.

10. D-3 Fan

Dusty made it official, he's walking. Since his contact was up at the end of this season anyway, it's not a firiing.

But it is apparent that the suits at the Tribune are clueless about what they want in a new manager. But they are happy that the second-largest attendance in team history crammed into Wrigley this year.

11. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Listening to the press conference questions about what the Cubs are looking for in a manager was a painful experience.

Draft saved Draft deleted