1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Former GaSouthern Coach Erk Russell dead

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by expendable, Sep 8, 2006.

1. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

One of the best coaches I've ever seen apparently died this morning of a stroke. Rest in Peace Erk. :'(

http://www.wtoctv.com/Global/story.asp?S=5382208

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's too bad. Rest in peace, Erk.

Enjoyed my dealings with him.

3. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

well fuck

damn good dawg

erk, well, erk was the man. rip

4. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

The Bulldog Nation mourns. Black t-shirts a Sanford next Saturday.

5. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Intense. Colorful. Excellent.

If he hadn't existed, Dan Jenkins would have had to invent him.

RIP, Erk.

6. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

GATA. RIP Erk.

7. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

Erk Russell R.I.P.

Erk, who shaved his head for years, was famous for headbutting his players on defense - while they were wearing hemlets.

STATESBORO, Ga. (AP) -- Erk Russell, who led Georgia's "Junkyard Dawg" defense under Vince Dooley and then built a small-college powerhouse of his own at Georgia Southern, died Friday after a car accident, a hospital official said. He was 80.

Russell was brought by ambulance to the Statesboro hospital and pronounced dead on arrival, East Georgia Regional Medical Center chief executive Bob Bigley said. Bigley said Russell's death was not from injuries related to the wreck, adding the examination is not complete.

Georgia State Patrol Cpl. Chris Lacienski said Russell had been in a single-vehicle accident Friday morning.

Russell came to prominence during 17 years as Georgia's defensive coordinator. He left the Bulldogs after their 1980 national championship to build Georgia Southern's first football team since 1941. He won Division I-AA championships in 1985, '86 and '89.

Russell retired after winning the last title, but remained close to the school until a falling-out with former coach Mike Sewak two years ago. Russell cut all ties to Georgia Southern after his son, Rusty, was fired as the defensive coordinator.

Sewak was dismissed after last season, and Russell again became a presence on the Georgia Southern campus with the encouragement of new coach Brian VanGorder, another former defensive coordinator at Georgia.

Russell spoke to the team Thursday, school spokesman Patrick Osterman said. The Eagles open their season Saturday night against Central Connecticut.

Russell had some health problems and several surgeries in the past year but he seemed to be recovering, said Holmes Ramsey, a friend and longtime Southern booster.

He was the inspiration for the Georgia defense that helped the Bulldogs capture the national championship and the first of three straight SEC titles with a perfect 12-0 season.

Russell compiled a record of 83-22-1 in eight seasons as the Eagles coach. He was a three-time I-AA national coach of the year and his final team went 15-0.

8. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Re: Erk Russell R.I.P.

There will be lots of somberness in the Peach State and Bulldog nation this weekend over this. He was a legend.

9. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

10. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

Thanks for the merge.

I'm trying to find the great story that the AJC's Steve Hummer wrote about Erk a couple of years ago.

11. nascardeacon

nascardeacon New Member

It's a loss for college football. He was a great coach.

12. Bill Horton

Bill Horton Active Member

I've met a lot of famous people over the years - heck most of the people on this board have, too. I also worked at some coach's clinics doing some media-related classes. Of the people I've met - players, coaches, legends - Erk was the only one I ever had my picture made with. It's hanging in my office as I type this. He was a good man and a dadgum fine ball coach. A true gem.

Draft saved Draft deleted