1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Marion Jones cleared!?!?!?!?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by beefncheddar, Sep 6, 2006.

1. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

First a (TAINTED) no-hitter and now this? Crazy shit tonight.

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Just so everybody knows what's going on.

3. Can anybody remember a high-profile athlete like Jones whose A sample was bad but whose B sample was clear?

How does something like that happen?

4. sportschick

Tyler Hamilton (cyclist) at the Olympics, I think. I know there was one time (before he was caught the last time) where his A tested positive, but his B didn't. I think there was screwup in the handling of the B that damaged the sample enough that it couldn't be tested though.

5. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Track is so falling off the sports map.

6. hardin moose

hardin moose Member

Not as high profile as Jones, but Bernard Lagat, the 2004 silver medalist at 1500 meters, had an A sample test positive for EPO in 2003, and then a negative B sample. The EPO test is, it seems, still something less than reliable. But of course, the A results get leaked anyway.

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I wonder what Dick Pound thinks of this.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Or the person who leaked she failed the A sample. Which might be Dick Pound.

9. Does anyone really care?

It's, like, track, for god's sake ......... filler on a slow night, unless you're in Eugene, Ore., or maybe Little Rock.

Wake me up when the Olympics come back around..........

10. sportschick

Or whomever Dick Pound gave permission to leak the info. The fact that every test seems to come out before the B sample is tested is pretty damned suspicious.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If some samples are testing positive and others aren't, I guess they need to test the testers because they must be oozing illegal substances.

12. This is actually a big deal. A BIG deal was made about her after the 2000 Olympics and when her husband was banned or whatever for roids. And everyone always sided with her because she had never tested positive for anything. And we the media and everyone else burried her when the A sample came back positive and said "She's guilty, there's no way her B sample comes back negative" given what we've recently seen with Roids Landice and others, so this is a big deal and I'm glad she was cleared. It just proves NOT all athletes are cheating.

Draft saved Draft deleted