1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SI - Smith on Tillman

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cousin Jeffrey, Sep 5, 2006.

1. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

2. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

That was awesome. I hope the phone didn't ring in the past half hour, because I might not've heard it.

3. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

How does it compare to the first Tillman piece?

4. Jersey_Guy

Jersey_Guy Active Member

This one's actual non-fiction.

5. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Well put, jersey guy.

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

wow. just wow.

a three-tissues story. :'( :'( :'(

wow. just wow.

7. Dude

Dude Well-Known Member

Same here. I wonder if mailmen have a fetish for Joey Porter not wearing a shirt? :-X

8. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

That's some powerful shit.

9. Did anybody else find it interesting that they listed Smith's sources for this story? I don't think SI has ever done that ... but I could be wrong. Anyway, I'm glad they included it because it gives me a better idea of how much background work Smith does.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I read the first page and just wasn't inclined to go any farther. It didn't reach out to me. I'm probably in the minority on this one.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

This one seemed to require a little more concentration.

The constant back and forth between past and present (or past and more recent past), while necessary, gets a little jarring after awhile.

Plus, since a good deal of the story had already been told, I kept waiting for some "Aha, so this is why it was written!" moment. And I never really found it.

12. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

Plus, since a good deal of the story had already been told, I kept waiting for some "Aha, so this is why it was written!" moment. And I never really found it.
    [/quote]

Read the last graf of the story and you'll find it.

Draft saved Draft deleted