1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kornheiser just embarrassed Theismann.. beautiful! Updated with actual exchange

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jason_whitlock, Aug 28, 2006.

1. Did you catch the exchange about college QBs converting to receivers and Theismann going on about how they had to be short and quick..... Tony: "Wasn't there a guy from Arkansas who just converted to receiver." Tirico: "Matt Jones" Theismann: "uh, to be a kick returner." Then an awkward silence.

2. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Re: Kornheiser just embarrassed Theismann.... beautiful!

He's going to be fine as long as he knows his niche is ripping the fuck out of that goddamned asshole at every opportunity.

I'm actually looking forward to all the national TV crews.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

So long as Kornheiser continues to have smart-ass answers to counter Theismann, count me a fan.

4. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Yes I did and I stood up and saluted the television. Tony K rocks.

5. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Mr. Tony, Mr. Tony, Mr. Tony!!!!!!

6. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

I'm expecting Tony and Theismann to go at it on air at one point in the season. Both of their personalities point to that direction.

7. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Doria is just smart enough to encourage that.

8. cubs

cubs Member

Classic.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Theesman deserves that job as much as . . . well . . .

10. Re: Kornheiser just embarrassed Theismann.... beautiful!

This is stolen from profootballtalk.com... They transcribed the entire exchange. Just beautiful...

Here is, verbatim, the key portion of the conversation regarding the requirements for a successful conversion. (Thank you, TiVo.)

Sunshine: I think you need a guy who's short, vertically challenged, maybe five-foot-nine, five-foot-ten with a lot of 'quicks' that can double as a kick returner. Those are the guys that can transition into professional football. To come in and just try and play the wide receiver position --

Kornholer (incredulous): He has to be short?

Sunshine: Well --

Kornholer: This is a prerequisite, to be short?

Sunshine: I think you need to be short and quick. I think that gives you an opportunity --

Kornholer: What if you were big and quick?

Sunshine: You don't have the 'quicks' when you're that tall.

Kornholer: Correct me if I'm wrong because you watch a lot more college football than I did [Editor's note: Tony, you'd make a great lawyer], wasn't there a quarterback recently from Arkansas who was the quarterback who then became a wide receiver in the NFL?

Tirico: Matt Jones.

Kornholer: Matt Jones, right? And he's big. Big and quick.

Sunshine: But not at the kick returning position.

Kornholer: (Makes barely audible noise connoting "Is this guy f--king serious?")

Sunshine: No.

Tirico (wisely changing the subject): It's 48 to 17. . . .

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Just to add...the "kick returner" is now the Jaguars No. 1 receiver through four weeks of training camp. Caught a 50-yard bomb in one exhibition.
    If Theisman doesn't know who's starting on every NFL roster, or have the info at hand, he needs to get the hell out of the booth.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Re: Kornheiser just embarrassed Theismann.. beautiful! Updated with actual excha

I love the whole Theismann premise. Just how many 5-9, 5-10 college QBs "with quicks" are out there?

Draft saved Draft deleted