1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Important...Please read if you're a journalist...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jason_whitlock, Aug 28, 2006.

1. I talked with Rick Telander on Monday, and he's trying to arrange some sort of organized protest/show of support for the SF Chronicle reporters facing imprisonment for doing their jobs... There are no concrete plans. This situation is fluid. All good suggestions are welcome. Last I heard from Rick this evening was that the SF Chronicle guys had to appear in court on Sept. 6 in DC and Rick plans to be there. I'm going to be there, too. He's looking for others to commit. And he's looking for ideas on what we can do.

This ain't about Barry Bonds.

This is about reporters going to jail for doing what we get paid to do.

Contact Rick at RFTelander@aol.com if you have ideas or want to get involved.

Jason Whitlock

2. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

Jason,
    I just read your column for tomorrow on the wire and must say it's very good. I don't agree with the notion about athletes being complete victims, but your points -- especially about race -- are very interesting. I'm glad you worked in Telander's call for arms.
    I'm sure someone can post the column when it hits the KC web site.

3. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Link please?

Some of us were radio, paper and television-free over the weekend and have no clue what you are talking about. (But it doesn't sound good.)

Thanks.

4. Wait, only journalists should read this? I guess Boom's out. That's right, Boom. Move on. Nothing for you to see here.

5. thanks.

6. gingerbread

Wish I could post a link. The Whitlock column just ran on Knight Ridder wire. Jason? Share?

7. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

I didn't mean Jason's column (although when it's out I would like to read it), I meant a link to a story about this.

8. gingerbread

I'm not sure Rick has written about plans for an organized protest. First I heard about it was in Whitlock's column for tomorrow (Tuesday).

Shouldn't this thread also run on the journalism thread?

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Rosie, it's not a new story, this is about the reporters in the BALCO case being forced to reveal their sources of the leaked grand jury testimony, or be charged with contempt and jailed.

10. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

Show up in orange prison clothing.

11. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Oh. :-[

I thought there was something new going on.

I'll go back to washing clothes now.

12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Don't Around the Horn and PTI tape in DC?
    Someone with some juice, pardon the pun, should start telling ESPN to film both shows in front of the courthouse.
    If you want to make a statement, that would be a good one.
    Another one would be to have everyone donate their appearance fees to the legal defense fund.

Draft saved Draft deleted