1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What gets the job, period.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Yawn, Aug 27, 2006.

1. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Some think it's just who you know. Others particular aspects of clips. What package interviewing before you gets the job right there - extended offer before they freakin' leave the office?

2. I'm not sure I understand the last sentence. I imagine people will say a combination of both. If you don't know people, it's harder to get noticed. If you don't have good clips, it won't matter who you know. If you're just cold calling, it has to be the clips. Hope that helps.

3. Kaylee

Kaylee Member

You're trying to quantify human emotions.

Some folks get hired because of their clips. Some get hired because of where they went to school. Some get hired because of their experience. Some get hired just because, hell, the guy in charge views the applicant as "his kind of people."

Sometimes its a combination of all of the above, plus a slew of factors we could spend the rest of the day naming.

There's no one way of going about it.

4. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Being a reliable employee. Being a motivated employee. Being a hard working employee.

5. Yawn

Yawn New Member

I was just looking for that "sold point" experience most common among those who hire.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

the solid point is aything other than owning a name such as yawn.

7. Clubber_Slang

Clubber_Slang Active Member

I was just looking for that "sold point" experience most common among those who hire.
    [/quote]

Let's start with being able to form a coherent question on a message board.

8. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

A clean urine test might not get you the job, but it certainly can't hurt.

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

What got the job? Who's on first?

Sorry, it was just sitting there.

There's no one thing that gets the job, but remember that most people are average. No runs, no hits, no errors. Nice resume, good clips, but nothing special or distinctive. Anything you can show or do to distinguish yourself raises your odds immeasurably. Freelance a feature that shows your versatility...talk to everyone you know to find out about the place you're applying to. When you walk in there saying, 'I saw your football preview, I liked the way you (whatever)...' it says something about you.

10. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

That's rare, usually they want to think about it for a day or two. It's happened to me three times, however. The first time, the paper was having a major expansion and they had a lot of hires to make, 10 or 12 as I recall. The other two times they had sought feedback about me from people we both knew, and I think they probably had their minds made up before we actually had a conversation of any substance. In those cases, the offer was contingent on me passing the pee test, though.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Period's don't get the job. You gotta go with exclamation marks!!!!!

12. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Depends on which date of the month it conducted the interview.

Draft saved Draft deleted