1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Today's tremendous telemarketer call

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Starman, Aug 16, 2006.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

RING RING.

ME: Hello.

TELEMARKETER DORK: Are your parents home?

(BTW, my voice does NOT sound anything like a little kid's, or a teenager's ??? ::). )

ME: No.

TELEMARKETER DORK: When do you expect them back?

ME: No time soon.

TELEMARKETER DORK: Can they call me back?

ME: I doubt it. They're dead.

TELEMARKETER DORK: Uhhh....they're dead?

ME: Yes. Dead. As in deceased, passed on, no longer with us, assumed ambient temperature, yadda yadda.

TELEMARKETER DORK: Well, the reason for my call is to tell you about a great new offer we have for cable TV...

ME: Fine. I'll be sure to tell my parents when they come in.

TELEMARKETER DORK: Would it be better if I called later?

ME: No.

SLAM.

::) ::)

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

PS: Tried to delete, and move to "Anything Goes." While amusing, I doubt this story has much journalistic value. ::) ::)

3. leo1

leo1 Active Member

i pity anyone who has to make a living as a telemarketer.

4. Pre-caller ID and while in college, I worked for one of the well-known polling companies (not in sales of any kind). Wasn't terribly bad for a part-time job (some people were courteous, some were rude, whatever), but I too pity the poor souls who have to sell shit for a living over the phone.

The spawn of satan Collection agencies, though, I have no pity for.

5. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

I get a call every day at 4 p.m. from NCO Financial systems, looking for the person who had my phone extension before I did.

Every day. They don't understand that the person doesn't work here anymore.

6. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

i love fucking with those people. make them sell it good, and then play dumb.

7. John

John Well-Known Member

The best are the telemarketing calls you get from your own newspaper.

Are you interested in subscribing to the Podunk Press?

Sir, I work one floor above where you're sitting right now.

Before I got rid of my home phone a few years ago, I got two calls a day from people looking for the person who had the number before me. That dude must have owed people a lot of money.

8. markvid

markvid Guest

I love doing Jerk Boys for them.
    Saul Rosenbeg is a personal favorite to piss them off.

9. WillieButch

WillieButch New Member

"Oh, my word. I lost my shoes and my glasses."

10. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

For our first nine months in Florida, my wife received about five calls per week between midnight and 5 a.m. from someone in another city who, I assumed, was looking to score some crack. I told her at least 20 times that she had the wrong number. It was a woman, and she was absolutely out of it. She kept asking for some guy with a name like Big Al or Little Mac or some shit.

After a few months, I told her that I was going to report her to the police if she called again. The calls stopped for weeks, but we still received an occasional call for several more months.

11. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

I used to get phone calls from Arrow Financial Services every other day on my cell phone. And I REPEATEDLY told them this person is not a part of this cell phone number.

I even talked to a supervisor (instead of the peons). They insisted that my number was off their list for this person, YET I continued to get calls.

The calls finally stopped when I said the next call I would make, wasn't going to be to them, but to a lawyer for them to cease and desist. Haven't got a call since.

12. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

We had that happen one night only we found out that they outsourced the new subscriber calls to a company in Florida instead of our East Podunk midwestern office. After about four calls we finally found out where they were but for the next 10 minutes it was just a constant ringing that we ignored as the list worked through the extensions.

Draft saved Draft deleted