1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Al Gore: green or not?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hondo, Aug 10, 2006.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

http://www.usatoday.com/news/opinion/editorials/2006-08-09-gore-green_x.htm

Not passing any judgment. Just passing it along. God forbid anyone formulate a negative opinion of Al Gore based on this.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Mainstream media: Liberal or not?

With apologies to Bill Maher . . .

NEW RULE: People who complain about a liberal bias in the media are banned from linking MSM articles to score right-wing "gotcha" points.

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

What's that got to do with my post? The Gore article was in the USA Today.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The eight bathroom house is for when Michaeal Moore visits.

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

If we want to limit our gaseous emissions into the atmosphere, we could start in worse places than Michael Moore in a bathroom.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

If I have to explain it to you . . . you'll never understand anyway.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I really don't like the idea that somebody is a hypocrite if they advocate environmental responsibility but don't live off-the-grid.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Peter Schweitzer is the one tricik pony who is obsessed with exposing liberal "hypocrisy"--but other than that brings nothing to the table.

But  nobody can top this for his "analysis" of the difference between conservative and liberal hypocrisy:

" But liberal hypocrisy and conservative hypocrisy are quite different on two accounts. First, you hear about conservative hypocrisy all the time. A pro-family congressman caught in an extramarital affair, a minister caught in the same. This stuff is exposed by the media all the time. The leaders of the liberal-Left get a complete pass on their hypocrisy. Second, and this is even more important, the consequences of liberal hypocrisy are different than for the conservative variety. When conservatives abandon their principles and become hypocrites, they end up hurting themselves and their families. Conservative principles are like guard rails on a winding road. They are irritating but fundamentally good for you. Liberal hypocrisy is the opposite. When the liberal-left abandon their principles and become hypocrites, they actually improve their lives. Their kids end up in better schools, they have more money, and their families are more content. Their ideas are truly that bad "

Unreal.

9. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Better schools? Kind of like what Rick Santorum did to the state of Pa?

I'm also curious how lots of good and wild sex doesn't better someone. ;D

10. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

There are several key arguments with this very short op-ed piece.

1) The first argument is that Al Gore owns several homes while arguing for “extreme personal sacrifice.” Gore’s version of “personal sacrifice” isn’t about living inside cardboard boxes and eating grass. There is no mention of what the heating or electric bill is. There is no mention of whether the house is using electricity or heat when he is not there.

2) The article says that the DC area has wind energy as an option and that similar options exist in Nashville, yet it doesn’t say how similar.

3) Gore’s stock in an oil company seems to be another touching point. Maybe Gore believes that as a stock-holder, he can vote for board members that will make a change. Who knows? And, clearly, the author doesn’t know either since it only poses the speculation.

4) Gore’s home in Carthage has a zinc mine that he receives money for. For all that is known, the mining is done under special precaution or it could have begun decades ago with a written contract before Gore became so concerned about the environment. Again, the author fails to perform much research.

See, there could be something said regarding the optional wind-energy but the rest seems to be more speculation. “Well, Gore owns stock in a company that drills for oil, so he must be in favor of drilling for oil.” “Well, Gore has a zinc mine whose operator has been accused of illegal dumping, but I won’t tell you when the agreement began, what the agreement is or if there are any special agreements specifically mentioned regarding what Gore actual controls, his own property.”

Of course, if you are just looking to make the argument of hypocrisy, you’ll find it if you choose to stretch things.

11. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

That is the most insane idea I've read recently. If I abandon being a Republican, it's a sure bet I'll have an improved life. Yeah, tell that to all the Republicans who live in poverty.

12. Gold

Gold Active Member

It must be nice being able to be employed by conservative think-tanks and write op-ed pieces, or to be a right-wing radio talk show host.

The facts, perspective and balance which editors in the "liberal media" expect? Fuhgedddaboutit. Backing up your argument? A quaint notion, like the Geneva Convention. The column is a piece of tripe with a side of pablum.

He owns two homes. Most political people in Washington do. Al Gore doesn't spend all of his time in Virginia and still has a home and votes in Tennessee. Compare that with Tom DeLay, who moved his residence to Virginia.

Wind power is not available everywhere. Solar power is more effective in Arizona than it would be in Seattle, but if you wanted to convert to solar power today, you wouldn't ditch the electric power next week. First of all, installation is very expensive - probably $50,000 for a house of any size. You do get a credit from the government, but it still would be at least $25,000. To make it financially feasible, your electric bills probably would have to be over $400 a month.

And Al Gore being the sort of stiff guy that he is, I can't imagine him forgetting to turn off the lights and the radio. Of course, we all know Tipper Gore isn't going to allow to many CDs in the house.

Draft saved Draft deleted