1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BitterYoungMatador2, Feb 22, 2008.

1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Reading the thread about "have you given up" and there seems to be a trend:

A good portion of those saying, "I fought the good fight and now I want out," are over the age of 30 and the ones saying, "I can't see me doing anything else" are under. I've had conversations with my non-reporter friends about this and it seems that there's a priority rearangement when you hit your 30's. In your 20's you're just happy to be employed and be able to do what you enjoy.

But over time, as your watch your other friends get bonuses, raises that are more than COLA, buy homes, furnish those homes, etc. you start to feel left behind economically. I'm not talking about "keeping up with the Joneses" with flat screens and Escalades, I'm talking about the basic shit we all watched our parents do.

Then you look at the economic climate with newspapers - the wages, the hours, the budgets, the other BS - and its another strike against you and the business you're in. As these observations and entrance into your 30's collide, it seems a lot of people begin looking for a change.

Just thought I'd see if others have thoughts on this.

2. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Since I hit my 30s, my career is finally starting to take off, but I am at that point where i'm thinking about having a family and all that stuff.

3. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Ironically, I thought this thread was about ending a story...guess that sort of fits, too.
    I think the thing I've really started to notice is that my wife and I have really struggled to take the vacations we've always talked about taking. We only had a limited honeymoon and this summer we're bogged down with five weddings. We won't really have the money for those, and we certainly won't have the funds (and then time) to do what we want.
    That's where I really start to notice the differences. I can do w/o the massive TV and the $40k car. But I'd really like to be able to afford a vacation with just the wife.
    Maybe next summer, right? If nothing else, I'll be 30 then, so maybe it's just meant to be.

4. KG

KG Active Member

I am drawing near 30 and the lack of the above-mentioned goodies I see my friends with has me wishing things had fallen into place differently for me by now. At the same time though, my friends with the goodies wish they would have had some of the opportunities that have come my way. Those opportunities might not have earned me a wad of cash, but they have earned me some memorable experiences.

5. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I've reassessed my standing in this business since turning 30 last year. I've not sure I want to do it anymore. I love it, but all the bullshit that comes with it (do I have to list it at this point?) is getting too much to bare.

Hell, I was just looking at a Web site regarding Microsoft certification. I have no idea if I'll jump into something like that, but I like computers and have been known to be the go-to-guy when shit breaks down in the office. Might as well get paid for it.

6. wow some thoughts from senior writers. I guess what makes me want to write, is i love sports. More over i love what sports do for people i love how they can give you the highest of highs and the lowest of lowes where sports can take you in life and i look forward to a life full of nothing but sports

7. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

When I was 30, I was covering a major league baseball team. Did that for another year, while mixing in a little NHL, then was bounced from baseball because of a newspaper merger. I was really pissed, but ended up with a college beat that included a major conference and a mid-major conference and did that until I was 43, then got laid off.
    The 30s were the best years of my professional career and extended until my 40s up until the layoff.

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

You consider 30 "senior"? Yikes.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

The biz is getting better and better for me as I'm getting older. I'll probably still be working on the print product when my paper's subscription is 5.

10. Dessens71

Dessens71 Member

Yes. Everything you said. And I'd also like to add that now that I'm past 30, I would like to have a kid and I probably can't afford to have one.

11. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

It's all about marrying someone who makes more money than you do, can support your career and accepting that. Trust me.

12. I've reassessed my standing in this business since I'm about to turn 40, and I think I need another beer. Or 10.

Draft saved Draft deleted