1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

30 years and counting

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 2underpar, Oct 17, 2013.

1. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

I got a 30 years of service certificate from my shop the other day. In retrospect, that's a lot of damn call-ins I've taken. But most days, I still enjoy coming to work. What the hell is wrong with me?

2. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Nothing...nothing at all. We all loved the job and being in the newsroom at one time, and oftentimes, for a long time...just not as long as you. :)

And many of us still miss it, sometimes. It sounds like you've had a good and usually satisfying career. Congratulations to you on the milestone.

3. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Congrats! I fear that I will never reach that mark (will be 3 years here in Feb, and 10 in newspapers over last 13 years).
    For every grumble, there's probably been two laughs.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Congratulations. Back in my parents' generation it was far more common for people to stay with one company for most, or all, of their careers. Seem less common now and I suppose there are many reasons. One person asked me why I changed jobs frequently and I replied "Well, for starters, it's the only way I've ever gotten a raise."

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Congrats!

Now if you've got a few minutes, I've got some girls junior high track and field results that need to get in the paper ...

6. Colton

Colton Active Member

Kudos! I start my 28th year Nov. 9 and have serious doubts about whether the milestone you've achieved will be attainable. Good for you!

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Congratulations! Takes a special soul to last 30 years in the newspaper biz.

I made it to 23 years in the biz. First 17 in local sports then 5 in news.

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Congrats on what sounds like a great career. I'm also sure you've made an impact on your community that you might not appreciate until you leave and readers let you know.

I made it 34 years and six months at a daily gig; 32 years with the same corporation, 26.5 years at my final shop. I was happy enough, got to cover some great stuff, travel to some nice places, work with great people and things were going well when I left, but it's been almost three years out and I don't miss it a bit.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Congratulations. Smart companies value longevity

10. John

John Well-Known Member

2under is one of the best bosses I ever had. Great boss, better man. Congrats.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Next year, a trip to see Aunt Kate will be your reward

12. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Congrats, 2under!

Draft saved Draft deleted