1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

30 years ago today ... Jonestown

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Nov 18, 2008.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Perhaps you're thinking of the murders of George Moscone and Harvey Milk? She became mayor when Moscone was killed.

I was in my first semester of college down in San Jose when it was all going on. DanOregon's post a couple of pages back hit the mood perfectly.

And I picked up a little knowledge of the power of journalism a few months later, when there was a move afoot to rename Candlestick Park in honor of Moscone. It all came to a screeching halt when Herb Caen wrote (and I'm probably paraphrasing): "Do we really want to be calling it 'that damn Moscone.' "

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
  2. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

The Road to Jonestown

I'm sure I said this on the Books thread, but Guinn's book is really good, as are his books on Charles Manson and Bonnie and Clyde.

3. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Gave rise to an interesting phrase: Don’t drink the koolaid.

4. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Interesting ...

5. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

This is a terrific thread. Thanks to all.

Jackie Speier was the guest last night on C-SPAN's Q&A. It is probably available at booktv.org or on C-SPAN's site.

Draft saved Draft deleted