1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

30 years ago today ... Jonestown

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

He turned his car and garage into a gas chamber like at San Quentin.

2. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Interesting article in today's Washington Post:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/11/18/AR2008111803694.html

Jackie Speier thinks things with Jones got out of hand because the "political leadership in San Francisco was indebted" to him.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

I can see that. It's widely believed that Moscone won the 1975 mayoral election through fraud, that hundreds or even thousands of Jones' followers were bussed into SF and added to voters lists with the intention of supporting Moscone and others like Willie Brown and Joseph Freitas, the DA who later ordered the election files from that year to be destroyed.

4. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

If anyone hasn't seen it, ESPN as the video of its Outside the Lines piece on Jim Jones Jr. from last year currently on its index page:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/otl/index

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I had no idea of all the Moscone/Jones ties. If Jonestown coupled with the shooting happened today, the conspiracy theories would be flying.

I guess Milk was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

Milk was, in public if not privately, a huge Jones fan. When the heat started to build on Jones in SF, Milk took it upon himself to write to President Carter in his defence:

"Rev. Jones is widely known in the minority communities and elsewhere as a man of the highest character. . . He is also highly regarded amongst church, labour and civic leaders of a wide range of political persuasions. . . It is offensive to most in the San Francisco community and all those who know Rev. Jones to see this kind of outrage taking place."

http://www.brasscheck.com/jonestown/milk.jpg

NOTE: I say "in public if not privately" because Milk apparently did see Jones for who and what he really was, but was still quite happy to use him and his gang when it suited his own needs - you know, like any other politician.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

After 10 years, a bump to remember today is the 40th anniversary of Jonestown. Some good stuff in this thread from some folks who are probably no longer hanging around here, so I figured I'd bump it instead of starting a new thread.
    Scanning the TV listings for tonight, I'm also surprised and disappointed that none of the excellent news specials and documentaries that have been done on Jonestown seem to be airing tonight.

https://www.sfgate.com/sfhistory/article/jim-jones-peoples-temple-sf-oakland-13385679.php

8. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I don't know if this was mentioned in the thread, but the shooting elevated Dianne Feinstein to mayor and launched her own political career. A definite event whose echoes are felt today.

9. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

the u.s. elected jim jones to the presidency in 2016.

10. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I recall Jonestown as being among THE most searing news events and media memories of my youth in that it stood out in the way that Watergate and 9/11 did. That is, it was literally ALL that was on the news, all over the place, all day, and for days following.

It was just so inconceivable -- even more so than Watergate and 9/11, really -- that people truly couldn't get their minds around it. I distinctly remember my dad turning off the car radio in disgust while listening into the middle of the umpteenth continuing media coverage of Jonestown a day or two afterward. He just could not believe it happened, or understand how.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
  11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

12. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I read Guinn’s book and had trouble putting it down, despite the horrible subject matter. I also recommend Julia Scheeres’ “A Thousand Lives.”

I’m watching the second part of Sundance Channel’s two-part Jonestown special (“Jonestown: Terror in the Jungle”). Seeing the footage from Jonestown right before the end is just chilling.

Draft saved Draft deleted