1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

30 years ago today ... Jonestown

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Always amazed me how, in less than 24 hours, it went from Ryan giving that "you're doing great here" speech in front of that ominous hanging sign to him and 900+ others being dead.

2. Simon_Cowbell

Always wondered how they had audio of that.

He was taping himself?

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

There were some recordings, yeah.

I read that AP story on the wire over the weekend. Just mind boggling to me how it all really went down. Can you imagine in today's media...?

I hadn't even been born at the time, and only knew the cliched knowledge of it. After that story though, phew.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Cue slow piano music and Tom Rinaldi talking about USD's Rob Jones in .... 3 .... 2 .... 1

5. Simon_Cowbell

As weird as all of it was.... How bizarre is THAT?

6. Simon_Cowbell

Introspective recollection of Jonestown by Jackie Speier:

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

About as bizarre as the (apparently unfounded) rumours that suggested Charles Manson went off the deep end after unsuccessfully trying out for "The Monkees."

"I'm a Believer," indeed. :-\

8. the fop

the fop Member

I grew up in the Bay Area too and was of similar age (12) when it happened. The thing I remember most vividly was it was only a matter of days before the City Hall killings of mayor George Moscone and supervisor Harvey Milk. And people in SF wondered what the F was happening to their world.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I was 12 in 1978 and I didn't grow up anywhere near SF but I remember the Moscone-Milk thing. That was a huge national story at the time.

I didn't realize Jonestown occurred at roughly the same time though. For some reason I thought that happened in the spring.

10. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

i remember watching the news accounts and have sen countless news and documentary pieces in the years since and to this day don't understand the ultimate mass suicide or some of the very weird crap that came before it. i just don't understand how people can act so "normal" while believing in people like jones and ultimately falling victim to what appears to an outsider as so off the deep end.

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I watched the CNN special on youtube the other night (all nine parts took about 90 minutes or so) and I'm pretty sure they showed a picture of Jones after he was shot in the head.

Phenominal job by CNN. Riveting, and sad, stuff.

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

It's interesting to speculate what Moscone and Milk might have thought of Jones after November 18, considering the mayor had played an important role in Jones' rise to prominence and Milk was one of Jones' staunchest defenders.

Draft saved Draft deleted