1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

30-year anniversary

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HandsomeHarley, Feb 3, 2007.

1. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

What were you doing 30 years ago Friday?

I woke up that morning to find out my father had passed away in his sleep.

My sister and I took turns sleeping on the floor next to his bed in case he needed anything in the middle of the night. It was my watch that night.

I can't believe it's been 30 years. And the sad part is, I will be his age (44) in a little over a year.

My father died at 44 and his father at 60, so I never figured I would make it far. I guess every day's another day for me.

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I'm glad you did.

As a side note, not that you care, but 30 years ago I was still floating inside of my dad's body.

3. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

On Feb. 24 I will be exactly the same age my mother was (35 1/2) when she passed away.

I know the feeling, Crippler.

4. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Thanks for the chuckle ... I needed that.

5. boots

boots New Member

People say that time heals the pain but it doesn't Crip. I'm where you are. Remember the good times.

6. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

My mom passed away at 49, 32 years ago. I'm 49 now. She missed weddings and grandkids and a lot of stuff I'm enjoying now. I think about that a lot.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I was at my dad's side, along with my youngest sister, holding his hand as he passed away. Six years ago last Tuesday. It was hard to be there, but I'm glad I was.

Same with you, Crip. Your dad went to sleep knowing you were there for him.

Draft saved Draft deleted