1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

30 Rock running thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 93Devil, Oct 31, 2008.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Now we know why Pippen went to Houston.

2. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Just a touch more of Katrina Bowden please. Not a lot. Just a touch more.

3. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

And as a bonus...

"They just kind of stay up on their own."

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm not sure at what point I started hating Jennifer Aniston, but I find her as unlikable as just about any big star out there.

5. I could not agree more, lantaur. The ratings have increased, but that could be more of a by-product of Tina Fey and the Palin Effect. The episode with Oprah was of average quality for this show, whereas the one with the Aniston appearance was easily the worst 22 minutes in 30 Rock's previous approx. 39 episodes.

If you had used Aniston in three episodes, hers could have been a funny storyline, a la Jack's affair with C.C., the congresswoman played by Edie Falco. Instead, though, they try to fit a bunch into a small window of time.

30 Rock has an unusually large ensemble cast and I think they don't know how to successfully use them all. Instead of an 'A' and a 'B' storyline, it seems as if the writers try to fit an 'A', a 'B', a 'C', a 'D' and an 'E' into one episode---and 22 minutes isn't enough to do this show justice, because the writing that makes it great doesn't work that way.

They may have sold their soul, which would be terribly sad, because I think that the first two seasons of "30 Rock" may be the funniest of any show in the last 25 years, including "Seinfeld," though I could argue with myself and say "Arrested Development."

I'm a huge Tina Fey fan. My family and friends refer me as Liz Lemon, even though I'm a male, because I share so many characteristics with her. But I will bail on this show the second Jack and Liz become a couple---or even when the idea of dating is first seriously hinted at. I was watching the Pop Culture Report on MSNBC last week, when the gossip "reporter" said that she---and all the other 30 Rock fans---were rooting for a Jack-Liz pairing.

I was enraged by that comment. The show was great because it rejected those types of cliche and easy storylines, but instead, presented a wonderfully platonic friendship between Liz and Jack. I thought of him as an older brother and her as his pesky and annoying little sister that is constantly bothering him, but at the end of the day, realizing they're best friends.

6. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Genco, I do have hope for the future of 30 Rock, although I agree with you about the most recent episode. Where we differ is on the A/B/C/D/E storylines - I still just see an A/B storyline last week, and sometimes a C. I think they're jettisoning some characters, which is unfortunate, as I haven't seen the writer's room in a while - instead it's turning into Liz, Jack, Kenneth and Tracy's Wacky Adventures. Is Josh even on the show now? And I know Pete's in the opening credits, but when was the last time you saw him? Even Toofer and Frank basically have cameos at this point.

I guess what I'm saying is that the show seems to be transitioning. I do think the characters they've chosen to focus on are the four strongest on the show. I agree that the episodes do seem crammed a lot, but at the same time, I wish the writer's room would make an appearance.

And I will definitely be pissed if Jack and Liz hook up.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Best part of the show tonight (the Steve Martin episode) was the "more you know" spoof at the end. Very funny.

8. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I thought last night's episode was pretty funny.
    Nice twist on the nerd turned pretty, who went to her high school reunion — turns out Liz was a bitch and everyone in high school hated her.
    Good stuff.

9. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Best comedy on TV. Find me another show that makes you laugh out loud more in a half-hour. Griz and Dotcom get maybe 15 seconds of airtime each week, and I love 'em. Kenneth the Page is the Woody the Bartender for another generation. And I swear there's underlying stuff I'm not even picking up. Great, great show.

10. 30 Rock, The Office and How I Met Your Mother are my three must-watch shows every week. Oh yeah, and the Amazing Race, which I guess ends Sunday.

Tina Fey has joined Jenna Fischer as the two women on TV I lust after most!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. Herky_Jerky

Herky_Jerky Member

I totally agree with all of the above ... except the Amazing Race part.

The writing on 30 Rock and HIMYM is amazing, and the latter's ability to integrate various other forms of media into the show (i.e. Barney's Blog, the Bro Code book and NotAFathersDay.com) may become the template for future successful television shows.

12. McLovin

McLovin New Member

When it comes to must-watch shows, you can't forget about MILF Island.

Draft saved Draft deleted