1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

30 Rock really isn't funny

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by mediaguy, Oct 18, 2006.

1. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

I know I'm a week behind on this, but finally caught the pilot. The show is bad on so many levels. The occasional laugh, but really unfunny as a whole. At first I'm thinking "Tina Fey left SNL for this?" and then I realize that says as much about SNL as it does 30 Rock. After "Mean Girls," I think I expected a smarter funny from Tina Fey than this.

You put it up against "Earl" or any other half-hour comedy awkwardly in an 8 p.m. slot, and it's just not there. Maybe the ratings will prove me wrong but this might not outlast Tracy Morgan's last show. Saw the second ep tonight, and it's not really better. Anybody with me on this?

2. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I was going to start a topic on this had the board been working earlier. Holy schamoly was this not good. What makes an unfunny comedy funny? Live action Family Guy-style cutaways, that's what! NBC is either showing their contempt or full-bore ignorance of sketch comedy at every level. In any case, between Studio 60 and 30 Rock, my interest level is holding steady at 0.

3. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

I haven't watched the 2nd episode yet.....but I agree with you on the first one. And Tina Fey is a bad actor, plus the glasses "make" her look.

4. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Disagree.

I didn't have high hopes for the show; I can't stand Tracy Morgan. But, I gotta say I've laughed out loud at both episodes. I watched the first one twice.

It can't be stressed enough - Alec Baldwin's character is solid gold.

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Agreed.

6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

The bit Baldwin did with the photo cue cards was very funny.
    "The guy who sleeps with Heidi Klum."

7. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I agree with this.

But I think episode two was a step back.

8. Baldwin is a better sketch comic than anyone in the current SNL cast by a factor of about 10.

9. Seabasket

Seabasket Active Member

I thought the first episode was very funny but the second was a step below. Baldwin is great on the show, and I really like Tracy Morgan, too.

Fey: "Everyone's upset, we need to do something."
    Morgan: "Let's go crash my car and see if the airbags go off!"

Good stuff.

10. Duane Postum

Duane Postum Member

I thought it was funnier than hell, and Baldwin was brilliant.

11. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

It amuses me. So far. But I could see how it could have a limited shelf life.

12. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

"Superman did good."

Draft saved Draft deleted