1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

30 K Rings for The Black Hawks. What will the PK Say.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Sep 30, 2010.

1. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I professor told me one her students was working with the Pats' weekly magazine when they won their first Super Bowl, and he sold the ring to help on a down payment on a house.

2. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Some of the newer ones are so ridiculous, they can't even be worn for normal use. They're like door knockers. Sometimes the bling-happy athletes are consulted on the design, which means bigger is always better. I'm always reminded of Deion Sanders wearing a big jewel-crusted pendant in the shape of a dollar sign. I'm sure he thought it was great, but it just looked stupid -- like something out of a Richie Rich comic book.

3. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I covered a World Series winner. Afterward, we had a writers' barroom discussion about whether we would be offered rings and whether we would accept them.
    The first response was, if wearing the ring helps you get laid, then hell yes.
    The eventual outcome was we were given a bat with our name burned into the barrel and a small brass plaque saying what it was for. I still have it, but have never displayed it.

Draft saved Draft deleted