1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

30 for 30 running thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 93Devil, Oct 6, 2009.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Agreed, don't know if they are trying to explain these stories in the context of their times or what.
    McNall could have been a story in itself.

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I would say 48 years of nonstop support, in (pre-dome days) some of the worst football weather imaginable, easily trumps one 11th-hour sellout.

And they did sell the place out, no?

3. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Agree with that pretty much word for word. Another strange part was when they were on the golf course and Berg asks, "So how many titles did you win in Edmonton?"

Uh, four. I'm not expecting a Schwab level of knowledge, but that's a pretty big one. You've been obsessed with Gretzky and you're now doing a documentary on him so you've probably done quite a bit more research and...that's one of the questions?

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

STG, that question was a prelude to the next two questions. The full exchange went something like this:

"How many titles did you win in Edmonton?"
    "Four."
    "How many titles did you win in L.A.?"
    "None."
    "How many titles would you have won if you stayed in Edmonton?"

Which elicited a pretty nice response from Gretzky about probably winning "four more" but having no regrets in leaving.

5. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

When I watched that, it reminded me of my hometown's (Memphis) attempt to get an NFL team when I was a kid. The city sold out four exhibition games and it pissed me off when Carolina and Jacksonville got those teams instead.
    (Although, Memphis probably hurt itself simply with its proposed team name, The Hound Dogs. Horrible.)
    It's interesting how perspective changes things. I think Baltimore should have definitely been picked instead of Jacksonville.
    Also, the whole Memphis expansion disappointment was one reason why a lot of people didn't show up for the Titans games at the Liberty Bowl. Plus, it was rival Nashville's team. That's kind of like expecting Kansas City to babysit the Rams.

As someone who attended half of the Memphis Showboats' home games in their final season, I'm very interested to see the upcoming doc on the USFL. I remember at one game they gave away a year's supply of New Coke at halftime and the crowd booed loudly.

6. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

There's a difference between fan support and being the primary part of the community's identity, which is what we're discussing here.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Cities which have had generations of people living withen its boundaries easily can gain an attachment for a team.

Try to find three generations of people in Washington, San Diego, Phoenix or Miami, and I think you would find it easier to find three generations in Buffalo, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Cleveland or Philadelphia.

Some cities have the generations, but it is so big that you do not have the common link like New York.

If I were to list the cities that had a bond with their team it would be...

Cleveland
    Pittsburgh
    Philadelphia
    Minnesota
    Green Bay
    Chicago
    Buffalo
    Detroit (terribly scarred due to lack of success)
    Denver
    Dallas (maybe)

8. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

I have the "Band" on the DVR and am looking forward to watching it.

The Gretzky one was very interesting but I agree that it was slow moving. The slow shots of Gretzky driving, then walking into an arena. Was that Edmonton or LA? I never really figured that out and they never said. Either way, that seemed to take forever. Loved the wedding video -- it was like Charles and Diana. Made me wonder, though, why did they get married in Edmonton? She's from where? LA? He's from near Toronto, right? Thought it was hilarious when Janet got in the limo and someone shouted, "I saw you in Police Academy 5!"

9. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I think the wedding in Edmonton further underscores the point that they considered Edmonton their home.

Berg knows the answer, he was just trying to get something from Gretzky.

The point of that exchange pretty much sailed right over your head. ;D

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

If you don't think the Vikings are a huge, huge part of the Twin Cities/Minnesota/entire Upper Midwest community identity, I've got some beachfront in Beach, N.D., I'd like to sell you.

11. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Point taken, Buck, and Lug. I guess the whole golf thing just seemed off. I know they're big buddies and Berg didn't want a regular studio interview, but I kept picturing George W saying, "We are going to stop this terror. We are going to do everything we can to stop the terrorism. Now, watch me hit this drive."

I kept waiting for Gretzky to go, "Devastating. Could have won four, five more titles. Loved Mess. Jari Kurri, what a guy. Now, watch me hit this 5-iron."

Stephen Brunt has a new book, "Gretzky's Tears," about the trade. If it's anything like Searching for Bobby Orr, it will be a pretty spectacular read.

http://www.randomhouse.ca/catalog/display.pperl?isbn=9780307397294

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Trump reviews Tuesday's USFL episode in a note to the director:

"Mike
    A third rate documentary — and extremely dishonest (as you know) —
    Best wishes
    Donald Trump

P.S. You are a loser"

Draft saved Draft deleted