1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

30 for 30 running thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 93Devil, Oct 6, 2009.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

The podcasts are enjoyable; really liked one on Yankees Suck tshirts

2. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

A few weeks ago, I finally got around to the Bad Boys, about the late 1980s/early 1990s Detroit Pistons. One of the worst 30 for 30s I've seen. It's a good topic, but the presentation IMO was flat and dull. I kept waiting for it to pick up, but it never did.

3. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

"What Carter Lost" is getting a lot of hype, from what I'm reading this week.
    Taped a couple last week. "Four Days in October" was indeed meh. Not strictly a 30 for 30, but "World Beaters" was better.

4. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I just watched the new one on the Redskins replacement players. Another good one. I was in the eighth grade at the time (30 years ago).

I didn't realize that the they didn't receive Super Bowl rings. Holy microcosms, Batman!

5. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I need to catch up on the docs, but the 30 for 30 podcast series was really good stuff. Some new individual stories, and some interviews / cut content from the more recent docs.

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

"What Carter Lost" was an excellent examination of the misperception of a Dallas public school, what happens when families are invested in their school and kids (whether white or black), and what may happen even with great caring parents and an affluent environment.

7. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Clicked on the start of this thread by mistake and started reading. This from page 5 was one of the best of a series of posts about Trump. Interesting to read them in 2017.

sgreenwell likes this.
  8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I missed that one. I'll have to look for it.

One thing that was interesting about the strike was how different teams prepared for it. Some teams spent a lot of time preparing and signing players because they saw opportunities to win games. Others, like the Giants, didn't care because they didn't want their regular players upset at the coaches.

I have a book on Ernie Accorsi around somewhere, and he was the Browns' GM back then. He told a funny story about how, as the strike was winding down, Gary Danielson and Brian Brennan came to him and said their teammates had signed off on them crossing the picket line for the third game with the thought of stealing a win against the rest of the replacements.

Accorsi agreed, and Danielson and Brennan ended up having a field day against the replacements. But in the fourth quarter, Accorsi found out that Brennan was close to the Browns' record for receiving yards in a game which was held by all-time Browns great Dante Lavelli. Accorsi realized that the record would be tarnished if Brennan broke it in a replacement game, so he was frantically calling down to the bench to have Brennan taken out. Brennan, after being benched, turned around and shook his fist at Accorsi's box because he didn't get the record.

9. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

The 30/30 on the 1987 Redskins and the strike was a top fiver. Really that well done I thought.

expendable likes this.
  10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, that was sh*tty. And John Kent Cooke saying there wasn't enough money for more rings could not have sounded less convincing.

As others said, another tremendous 30 for 30. I was 13 years old and not a Redskins fan but knew guys like Thielemann, May, Olkewicz just from all those games on CBS.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Why should scabs receive rings?

12. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

It's a lot like how the MLB replacement players of 1995 who eventually joined teams post-strike (Shane Spencer, Damian Miller, Kevin Millar, etc.) were not allowed some of the same perks, or something like that.

Draft saved Draft deleted