1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

30 for 30 running thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 93Devil, Oct 6, 2009.

1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

mistake? I think you got it backwards. Manning went No. 1 to the Colts, Leaf No. 2 to the Chargers.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Charles Woodson went two picks after Leaf, but everyone knew the Chargers needed a quarterback. There wasn't another elite QB prospect in that draft after Manning and Leaf (Brian Griese, who was OK, went in the third round. Matt Hasselbeck went in the sixth round, but no one saw his career coming).

Taking Leaf at No. 2 wasn't like taking Alex Smith and Jason Campbell instead of Aaron Rodgers, or like taking Todd Blackledge and Tony Eason instead of Dan Marino. The Chargers needed a QB, Manning was gone, and they took a guy everyone thought would be pretty good. Not their fault.

Not only that, it hurt them for exactly three years. They flipped the No. 1 pick in 2001 to the Falcons, who took Michael Vick. The Chargers took LaDainian Tomlinson No. 5, then Drew Brees with the first pick of the second round.

In 2004, they used the extra picks from the Manning-Rivers trade on Nate Kaeding (their kicker for 9 years) and Shawne Merriman (the NFL Defensive Player of the Year in 2006, who was on a Hall of Fame track til he got hurt).

So yeah, drafting Leaf sucked, but they recovered pretty quickly.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Campbell was taken by the Redskins one pick after Rodgers.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yeah, but still.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

You're right. Had a brain cramp there. Simply taking Leaf was the blunder, but as Steak spelled out it was one the Chargers did a good job of fixing with other moves.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

There hasn't been a device invented that can measure how little I care about Mike and Mad Dog (i originally wrote Mike and Mike) 30 for 30. These guys are local flavor only, but because many people in charge live in the NY area, the two dolts get foisted on everyone. Neither has ever said an interesting thing in their careers. If they began their careers in flyover country, we'd have never heard of them.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  7. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Think you mean Mike and Mad Dog. Don't let the Fat Man hear you saying he's not nationally known.

8. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Hahahaha. It's an excellent doc. A study in human behavior-- both for the better and the worse.

You know how I'm always saying every great thing that happens-- humans must destroy ?

That.

9. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Agree completely. I don't think the words "Mike and Mad Dog" mean a damned thing to anyone living outside the NYC metro area.

Other than being in New York, how are they different from any of the other popular sports-yammering duos across the country during those years?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  10. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I've lived in the NYC area for most of my life and I don't give two shits about them. They're not insightful. They're the annoying know-it-all assholes you hope you don't have to sit near in the stadium during games. They're obnoxious and both of their voices make me want to stick sewing needles into my eardrums.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I think you mean Mike and Russo, but it applies to Mike & Mike as well. The only noteworthy achievements of either are the longevity and the length of each program. The fact that they can spew nothing, but do it for hours at a time is worthy of notice.

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Don't care about them. They've been foisted on me in various mediums. About 15 years ago, the sunday evening after an NCAA selection sunday - they syndicated for the evening and were on our local sports talk, and I could not believe how uninformed and bland they were. And one of them has pretty close to a speech impediment. They are a local flavor, I get it. Every city has sports talk guy/guys like that. They aren't for a national audience.

Draft saved Draft deleted