1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

30 for 30 running thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 93Devil, Oct 6, 2009.

1. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Finally saw Phi Slamma Jamma, not much more to add than what has already been said, found it pretty pedestrian and was disappointed.

2. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Really enjoyed the background info on the XFL. We knew it was a ratings train wreck after the 1st night. Interesting to hear about all the shit the power outage had in Wk2

3. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

I would pay low to average amounts of money to see McMahon v. Costas in a cage.

4. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

I'm sure that would be a great battle. McMahon is probably 6 inches and 100 lbs bigger, has access to the best supplements money can buy and dislikes anyone in the media that doesn't kiss his ass.

5. cjericho

If you meant Linda McMahon vs Costas, that would probably be a good match.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Disappointed they didn't include the clip of Vasgersian exclaiming "sloppy seconds!" after a tipped-ball touchdown in the first XFL game.

Like a lot of people, I watched the first game and never watched again. I just have no interest in watching bad football unless there's an emotional/family connection, whether that's youth league, high school, college or pro.

7. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

McMahon would win in an even bout. But Costas would break out nunchaku, and then his security detail would throw stars.

I liked it, but the end was pure ham and cheese. ESPN always has to drive home the entertainment part to conclude these.

8. Lt.Drebin

Lt.Drebin Active Member

I swear, I don't recall them airing games on NBC after like the 2nd week of the XFL's existence. I remember thinking the league clearly wasn't gonna work after about the 2nd week. One reason: NBC didn't use legit announcers. Hearing Jim Ross and Jesse Ventura just made it sound like WWF on a football field.

9. Lt.Drebin

Lt.Drebin Active Member

I also remember being bummed that there were never any snow games, despite the fact they played in like Feb.

10. Lt.Drebin

Lt.Drebin Active Member

Another thought: virtually everyone interviewed in that XFL doc came off as a douche, including Vasgersian, who I actually like in his other announcing endeavors.

11. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

I went to a game in Birmingham and had fun. Can't remeber which game it was. I usually taped them and watched later. I was always at work during games.

There are full games on YouTube. After watching a few, it's no worse than some of the lousy high school games I've had to cover. I can't recall the last time I watched more than a quarter of an NFL game. I get bored to tears. College football is my no. 1, but I loved watching these old XFL games. And arena league is pretty fun to watch on TV.

12. cjericho

The Super Bowl was definitely boring. Any XFL game was more exciting than that. College football is great also. Those games between SEC or Big Ten teams vs non BCS or FCS teams always go down to the wire.

Draft saved Draft deleted