1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

30 for 30: Return of Robert Indiana's MECCA floor

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Jun 11, 2014.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I grew up in L.A. and a Lakers diehard, but I loved the MECCA floor in Milwaukee. Looked so gorgeous on TV. Never missed the Lakers' one trip there ever year.

Robert Indiana's floor died and disappeared when the Bucks moved to the Bradley Center but recently came back to life thanks to a local maxing out his plastic for $20,000.

30 for 30 did this short about the moment.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=11020526

2. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

That is really cool. Thanks for the link.

3. vicd

vicd Active Member

That was great. Love that floor.

4. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I was too young to realize the two M's on each end, but always loved the look of the floor.

Thanks for the link.

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Not to be nit-picky, but they flash the numbers "2010 ... 25 years since the Bucks played on the floor"

2010 was only 22 years. The Bucks moved from MECCA to the Bradley Center in 1988. ESPN usually gets the details correct.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I enjoyed that. Thanks for the link.

7. Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell

Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell Active Member

Nice.

The first NBA and college games I saw in person were played on that floor.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I don't think it "disappeared". I recall Marquette having to play a NIT game at the Arena when Bradley Center was unavailable in the late 90s or early 2000s and they played on the old floor. Was an awesome flashback, because as a kid, I never thought twice about it. I thought it was totally normal. In fact, it used to bug me as a kid that the Bucks didn't have a color-scheme specific floor to play on. Boy was I wrong.

Of course, it was my avatar for a while too.

I miss the Arena. It was a great place to watch a game. Glad it's still around.

9. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Bucks did a nice job of playing on an updated version this season.
    Snazzy floor that earned Milwaukee some good pub.

Draft saved Draft deleted