1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

30 for 30 complaint

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mizzougrad96, Dec 26, 2012.

1. BenPoquette

BenPoquette Active Member

A few of the 30 for 30's have been fantastic and a few have been pretty pedestrian. I agree...this series could have been great had they found new angles for things instead of rehashing history. The Miami one...we get it, "The U" was insane and changed college football. Did anyone actually learn anything from it? I loved the Chuck Wepner one because it was about a guy no one knew a lot about...and the battles he had with Stallone over the Rocky franchise were interesting and pretty eye-opening. Overall a fan of these documentaries...but there seems to be a TON of wasted opportunity.

2. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

This is the reason I didn't have a problem with Klosterman too much. They used him a bit more than they should have, but most of it worked.

And I agree that the rehash ones have been the worst. Some of my favorites (The Two Escobars, The Birth of Big Air and Tim Richmond: To The Limit) were stories that weren't as well known.

3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

That's true, and I agree, and yet, I think when you consider the age demographic of those whose TVs never leave ESPN, they don't know half of what those of us of a certain age know about the subjects. A lot of this is new to them because they didn't see it on "SportsCenter" the night it happened -- or on YouTube or gifs within minutes of the games, and there isn't as much of an Internet trail as with something from five or 10 years ago.

4. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

This is the first I've heard that this is not a great series. Certainly some have been much better than others, but there hasn't been a single one that I did not enjoy. Well, I think I skipped the Red Sox/Yankees bloody sock one. It is definitely the ones that aren't as well known or have not been discussed in a while that seem to be more interesting. The ones on Dupree, SMU and the USFL were especially good, and the rotisserie baseball one was fascinating, even though I knew most of the story on that as well.

5. BenPoquette

Good point and I hadn't really thought of it that way. I guess I'm hoping for a little more depth to cater to both types of viewers.
    By the way, I LOVED the Chris Heren one that was not a part of the original series, but released after the first 30. I think every high school athlete with hopes of a future in professional sports should watch it.

6. Most of these are available on Netflix instant so I'm going through them in order now.

7. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

The one on Herren was off-the-charts great. Haunting. The footage was stunning. And I love the name 'Unguarded.' I also love-love-LOVED Marcus Dupree. Same director. I cannot wait for the one coming up on N.C. State by the same filmmaker.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I recently, finally watched The Two Escobars. That was fantastic -- the kind of documentary that in another era would have shown up in the local arthouse.

The Herren one was my favorite of the original 30 for 30 year.

9. BenPoquette

Looking forward to that one as well...especially in light of what Golenbock wrote in Personal Fouls. I never really looked at Jimmy V the same after reading that book, but have always wondered about Golenbock's reasoning for writing it. It was, perhaps, the most negative book I have ever read about a college program and made Valvano look like the most corrupt, sleazy human being alive. I guess Golenbock claims to have tapes of all the interviews he did for the book, but has never agreed to release them. Golenbock never struck me as the most accurate or even competent sports biographer (Number 1 read like it was a children's book and I question some of the claims about Billy Martin in that book as well) and I would like to know the truth about Valvano's N.C. State program...which I suppose lies somewhere between Golenbock's butcher job and ESPN's annual slobbering love affair (with apologies to Bernard Goldberg). Hoping the 30 for 30 will answer some of the questions I have.

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I think the main point of this series is for serial nostalgists who did live throguh these eras to wax about howawesome sports were back in their days

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Don't even have to click that link to know what it is and I agree 100%.

Really liked The Dotted Line doc about the small-time agent looking to make it big in the NFL. When I was in the hockey business I knew a lot of guys like that who trolled minor hockey rinks and major junior training camps looking to rep kids who might make them a buck one day.

Had never heard of Chris Haren but that doc was great. Riveting stuff.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I LOVE the series... But that doesn't mean there aren't a few things to nitpick...

Draft saved Draft deleted