1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

30 for 30 complaint

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mizzougrad96, Dec 26, 2012.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I don't recall it being brought up then. But Bo does theorize in his book "Bo Knows Bo" that he thought Culverhouse's Alabama allegiance might have played a role.

2. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Of course I understand the criticism. It struck me watching, too.
    With that said, I thought Chuck was pretty-damn good. (As was Heisler.)

3. Diego Marquez

Diego Marquez Member

.390, pine tar, and the '80 World Series, yet he's a Hall of Famer in my book for this:

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

The theory doesn't make any sense to me. If he didn't want Jackson, why waste a No. 1 overall pick on him?

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Culverhouse did want Jackson, but he flew him to Tampa on the team plane to negotiate. That was an NCAA violation, and cost Bo his baseball eligibility for the rest of his senior season. Whether or not he did so on purpose is the issue.

6. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

It's fun seeing the Klosterman chatter because I can compare it to some talks I've had with a friend who's an academic historian and I always love hearing his stories about who's considered an expert, who gets to be a talking head on the TV shows or documentaries, etc. It's the same things we debate, only about history. The Times had a story about the historians Obama invited to the White House for chats, and my friend said one of the guys was an absolute joke and became known because he has nice hair and gets on TV. And when I went to a panel for the New Yorker festival, a woman named Annette Gordon-Reed talked about Jefferson and he was...not impressed that she'd be the one asked.

7. ringer

ringer Active Member

I had the same thought.

Since when is Klosterman the authority on Jackson? If there was any tie whatsoever, it was lost on me. And I agree, he ate up far too much time. Imo, the best interviews were with Bo himself and his old coaches. The show would have been fine with those alone -- and Harold Reynolds. But wait, did they even interview Reynolds? (Sorry, I watched it a while ago.)

Also, interviewing a biographer is WEAK when your subject is still alive (and quite lucid).

Bottom line: I think ESPN mis-assigned this one. The producer picked some poor sources and relied far too much on talking heads in general.

8. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I don't think it's weak to interview a biographer when a subject is alive. Should Maraniss never be asked about Clinton or Obama? Should Kriegel never be interviewed about Mancini or Namath (well, with Joe you might have the lucidity angle...)?

And even if you do have the subject alive and talking on the project, a biographer can examine issues the subject might not be willing to talk about. It's the difference between reading an autobiography and a biography. Roland Lazenby wrote a Jerry West bio, then West wrote his own book. West would obviously have things that Lazenby wouldn't, but at the same time, Lazenby - or any biographer - will have talked to all kinds of people who can offer new information.

And I did like Klosterman's contribution. Mark Ames would surely disagree with me, but I do think he's a guy you can talk to about pop culture phenoms, which is what Bo was back in the day.

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I haven't liked any of the 30 for 30 specials. If I am going to watch a documentary, I want it to involve new reporting or new footage, not a bunch of guys sitting around and talking about something that happened 20-30 years ago with nothing new to say. Hoop Dreams was a great documentary.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Reynolds was not interviewed, and I thought that was a pretty big whiff. Gotta be a backstory there, either the producers didn't want to go after him due to his ESPN history, or Reynolds refused for the same reason.

11. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Yup, George is 60 in May. I saw him at the All Star Game from a close range. Very tan. Thick around the belly. Probably playing lots of golf and "being George Brett".

12. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I would expect the nation's leading dork-chic hipster writer to ruin a sports documentary by talking endlessly about a Nintendo game.
    Chuck Klosterman will still be talking and writing about this stuff when he's 60 years old.

Draft saved Draft deleted