1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

30 for 30 complaint

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mizzougrad96, Dec 26, 2012.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Simmons is the creator of the "30 for 30" series. The whole thing was his idea. He's been an executive producer for every film.

2. brettwatson

brettwatson Active Member

What makes 30 for 30 work, IMO, is the quality of what is said rather than the source of the quotes used. It is similar to putting together a takeout where you work like hell to amass all the great stuff you can find, then combine it into a stirring tale. You might bust your butt to find the perfect source, only to get hooey from him. So you use what works. In this case, I thought Klosterman worked quite well. Although I agree there are many sources out there with great insights into Bo.

Sort of sad to see G. Brett aging. He will always be in his 30s and striving for .400 to me.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Every generation gets the experts it deserves.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Hindsight being 20/20, hearing Emmitt Smith or a Barry Sanders about watching Bo when they were middle schoolers probably would have been much more interesting.

But you can get the ESPN guys for cheap and probably do not have to fly them in to do the interview.

5. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

I, too, was wondering how Klosterman was portrayed as the world's leading Vincent Jackson expert. But that didn't stop me from IMMENSELY enjoying the episode.

rb

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I mentioned on the other thread but I found it strange to have Marcellus Wiley get so much air time as Bo Jackson expert.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Agree completely... If Bo was using, he was using from his freshman year at Auburn on... I think he was clean... I agree... If you didn't use and someone claims you did... Sue their ass...

8. Mizzougrad96

I thought Brett looked great... I'm pretty sure he's 59.

9. Mizzougrad96

Oh, I agree completely... That's my complaint. I have zero problem that Klosterman was used. I have a problem that he was portrayed like he was THE Bo Jackson expert. Marcellus Wiley was another strange one. The only thing he said that worked was about how if you showed up wearing a "Bo Knows" shirt when you were a teenager, people thought you were cool...

I love hearing the old-timers tell stories about being there... The stuff about how the Bucs screwed him over and how he sat there and cried after being declared ineligible was really good stuff...

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Chuck knows Bo.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

What they didn't mention (though Bo does so in his book) is that then-Bucs owner Hugh Culverhouse was an Alabama graduate and big donor. Alabama's business school is named for him:

http://cba.ua.edu/

12. Mizzougrad96

Was any of that public knowledge when it happened? I remember Bo being declared ineligible, and I remember him telling the Bucs not to draft him, but I didn't remember hearing that he thought they sabotaged his college baseball career intentionally.

The "Bold Move Bo" SI cover is one of my favorite ever and one of the few ones that I've saved for the last 25+ years.

I thought it was so great that he let the Bucs sit. It just added to his legend for me...

Draft saved Draft deleted