1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

30 for 30 complaint

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mizzougrad96, Dec 26, 2012.

1. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Verse, you mentioned you liked the stuff with Herren's wife. That's exactly what I loved.

Here's what made the film crazy-good for me: the footage. I felt like I was inside an addiction. And I kept thinking I'd, I mean he'd, hit rock bottom. I can honestly say, if Herren were black, it would be the same experience. Yes, it's been told. Done before. But so intimately?

I thought Marinovich was good, but for me, this one was chilling.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Just finished Untouched. Pretty strong.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Untouched? Is that the story of The Second Mile child who got away?

4. Lugnuts

Xan, which one did you like better, the one on Marinovich or the one on Herren?

5. Songbird

Pound for pound, Marinovich. But I related to the Herren one pretty strongly too.

6. Lugnuts

Ok... here's the question, Xan. It's been awhile since I've seen the Marinovich and Herren docs.... And both films prompted me to go online and read lots more about both guys... So I can't remember exactly how I got this impression......

But regarding recovery......

I feel like Herren is very strict about his, doesn't drink, strictly adheres to the 12-step program, etc. And I got the impression Marinovich..... Loosey-goosey is too strong of word.... But I feel like Marinovich just doesn't view recovery the same way Herren does.

Agree or disagree?... And your thoughts?

7. BenPoquette

BenPoquette Active Member

Possibly because I had a five-year old and a three-year old scrambling around, fighting with each other when I watched it, but I didn't think The Two Escobars was all that special. I guess after reading Killing Pablo and The Cocaine Kings there was just too much information I already knew.

8. Songbird

I think both guys want a lasting recovery but they just go about it differently. Herren's sense of accomplishment is collecting those AA coins (or tokens) to make him feel like he's winning that war, while Todd's sobriety currency comes in the form of a renewed relationship with Marv -- through art. That means the world to him.

Todd's just a sweet-natured surfer boy from SoCal. That's just how we beach boys: laid-back.

But don't mistake laid back for nonchalance.

9. Lugnuts

I see. Well God bless them both. And you as well, Xan.

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Todd Marinovich is a smug douchebag. And the Sports Illustrated profile on him had as many inaccuracies as Pete Thamel's profile of Manti Te'o.

11. I've enjoyed going through a lot of the 30 for 30 films on Netflix instant, but really thought "June 17" was weak. No insights, no angle, just a bunch of news footage from a single day without any unifying theme beyond the idea that there was a ton of stuff going on.

12. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Depends on your taste. Some people like cinema-verite, others don't.

Wasn't part of the 30 for 30 series, but probably the best sports doc I've seen in recent years was "Harvard Beats Yale 29-29," which is also told in minimalist fashion. You only hear from the players, and Boston Channel 5's Don Gillis on the original play by play - no narration (save for a few white on black slides), no coaches, no other alums, no media, no historians. Outstanding storytelling - the players don't really talk about the game itself until the second quarter. You get to meet Dubya's roommate (director Kevin Rafferty is a Bush cousin), Meryl Streep's boyfriend (one of the goats of the game for Yale), Brian Dowling (who looks more like a high school math teacher than the inspiration for Doonesbury's BD), and players on both sides of the Vietnam War. Then there is the story Tommy Lee Jones tells about even more famous roommate's fascination with a push-button phone (the punchline of which is the only music in the film, over the closing credits).

Draft saved Draft deleted