1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

30 Days

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by DanOregon, Jun 13, 2008.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Don't know how may SJers are watching the show, but after last week's ep featuring Morgan Spurlock working in a coal mine, this week had Ray Crockett spending 30 days in a wheelchair. Apparently Crockett wanted to better appreciate what former teammate Mike Utley faced when he was paralyzed while playing for the Detroit Lions.
    It's a great show and I have no idea why Crockett isn't a fixture on ESPN. He came across as a great guy and the show was very insightful. His interviews with other people in wheelchairs were more insightful than anything you'd see on a Sunday morning NFL pre-game show.
    I remember when Crockett served as the defensive coordinator in "Bound For Glory" a reality show featuring Dick Butkus taking over a struggling high school team a couple of years back. Butkus bailed after the show wrapped with three games left in the season. Crockett stayed through the end of the season on his own dime.
    Anybody have any dealings with him? Is he as decent as he comes off on TV?

2. mltru2tx

mltru2tx Member

I love this show. I thought the Crockett episode was kind of subpar. I guess it was maybe just me. Nothing against the guy, I just didn't really get into it. The next day, I happened to drive past his house and recognize it. That was kind of weird.

3. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Next week is an avid hunter who moves in with a bunch of PETA activists. Spurlock said in an interview that it might be the best episode they've done.

4. mltru2tx

mltru2tx Member

I thought one of the better ones they've done is the volunteer border patrol guy that moves in with a family of illegal aliens. I get the feeling next week's might be similar in a way.

5. DanOregon

I do wish, just once, Spurlock would have someone liberal move in with a conservative and try and show that conservatives have reasons for being conservatives. It seems mostly the show tries to "enlighten" righties, but rarely the reverse.

6. mltru2tx

mltru2tx Member

Well, he is a liberal.

7. On an everyday basis, Ray Crockett is hands-down one of the biggest scumbags I've ever dealt with as a member of the media.

Maybe the worst.

He'd smile when the TV cameras were on, but as soon as they were off, he'd be quite adamant about telling any print reporters to go fuck themselves, get the hell away from them, and physically shove them out of the way, if necessary.

I guess that colors my evaluation of this episode.

8. DanOregon

Interesting to know Wild Bill. First Charlie Jones, now Ray Crockett. Call me gullible.

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Man, that sucks, because he seems like a genuinely nice guy on TV. Was that way for the Butkus show and seemed like a good guy on 30 Days.

10. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

I agree. It would be a much better show if he wasn't so biased.

11. DanOregon

Well, they finally had an episode without a kumbaya moment. Mormon mom lives with "my two dads" who have four foster kids they adopted and comes away thinking its still wrong for gay people to have kids, thought she appreciated the job the dads did. Hats off to her for doing the show and sticking to her guns and I was quite relieved that her hosts didn't bring up the whole polygamy thing.

Draft saved Draft deleted