1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

30,000th SportsCenter: The stupid hype has started

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ondeadline, Feb 8, 2007.

1. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Whenever ESPN gets a chance to pat itself on the back, you know it willt.

Five years ago, we endured a lot of crap for the 25,000th show and the stupid promos are getting cranked up for show No. 30,000 on Sunday night.

At least if a lot of old clips are shown, it could be less of DJ Stewy.

2. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

This week ESPN celebrates its 30,000th SportsCenter.

Next week, it will celebrate its 30,000th sexual harassment charge.

3. ondeadline

Don't forget the circulation of pictures of one announcer's manhood.

4. Freelance Hack

He wasn't circulating pictures of his manhood. He was showing off how much weight he lost on the NutriSystem diet.

Before NutriSystem, he couldn't see his manhood. Now, he can. And you can, too, thanks to NutriSystem.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

I bet you show 25K was less than five years ago.

I saw this stupid ad last night and did the math (I am lame). If ESPN is only counting the new editions of SportsCenter--6 pm, 11 pm and 1 am--then it has 1,095 airings a year.

But really, shouldn't ESPN count all 11 airings, since SportsCenter occupies nearly half the daily schedule? In that case, it would air 4,015 times a year. Or one-quarter as many times as Chris Berman wheezes. Which would mean the 35,000th show would air next March.

Alas, while we won't see Stewy in the highlights, we will see Berman in his Buccaneers orange. And that's even worse.

6. Freelance Hack

Hopefully they still have some Tom Mees clips to air.

7. ondeadline

If they can pull out clips of former SportsCenter babe Kari Ross, that would rock Salisbury's nutrisystem.

8. WSKY

WSKY Member

You those fuckers count the "morning wheel" as separate episodes.

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Does ESPN count repeats into those 30,000? Or are they 30,000 different shows?

10. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

All I want to see is Charley Steiner and Jack Edwards losing it at the desk after watching Carl Lewis' tremendous rendition of 'The Star Spangled Banner' from the Meadowlands.

11. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

The only one of these gimmicks with any creativity was the SportsCenter Classic Week a few years ago with the retro hosts and graphics.

On the other hand, there was Stuart Scott and SC televising live from Iraq for about the same spell. The troops might have liked a nice rock star or two, some comely celebrity, and they get Stuart Scott and John Anderson.

12. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I don't know why this is a big deal. When a certain post-padder member here gets to 30,000 posts loser he'll be spewing man juices all over the computer screen happy.

Draft saved Draft deleted