1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

3 softball players missing in N.D.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Nov 3, 2009.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

That sucks. RIP.

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Spark plug?

3. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

If you don't have one of these:

http://www.lifehammer.com/a_lifehammer/pages/features.htm

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

If you don't have a window punch, you are in trouble

5. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Incredibly sad story.

6. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

The story I just read had the deaths updated but still had the info about the students -- majors and such -- listed in present tense.

Made it even sadder.

7. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

DICKINSON, N.D. - Three college softball players found dead after their sport utility vehicle went into a pond on a North Dakota farm during a stargazing trip likely drove straight into the water in the dark, authorities said Wednesday.

Stark County Sheriff Clarence Tuhy said the women's SUV was found resting on its wheels Tuesday in about 10 feet of water hidden by tall grass, with the doors and windows closed.

"When you're not familiar with an area like that it would have been very easy to drive into," Tuhy said.

http://www.startribune.com/nation/69068322.html?elr=KArksLckD8EQDUoaEyqyP4O:DW3ckUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUUs

8. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

As I understand it, you can open them once the water pressure inside the car equals the water pressure outside it. That means waiting until the water in the car reaches the same level as outside. So if you're in 10 feet of water, you have to let the water fill up the car before the doors will open. Certainly takes some knowledge and some holding of breath, and you have to overcome panic, but my understanding is that works. It's possible I'm wrong, though. Fortunately, I haven't been in that situation to try it out.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

You're right. The panic, however, is the problem.

10. Chef

Chef Active Member

Dam.

Sad, sad story.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I thought the same thing. I hope and pray that's not the case.

12. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

There was a dog in the mix... plus the driver may have been unconscious.

And, if it was dark... not hard to comprehend for me at all that no one got out.

You can't open a door in 12 feet.

And, if the windows are power windows, and you don't have a punch, you have no way to break that glass and equalize the pressure inside the vehicle with what is outside. Once that is equalized, you can move.

Sometimes, the seatbelts keep you strapped in, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted