1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

3 softball players missing in N.D.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Nov 3, 2009.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Haven't been heard from since Sunday night. Police are searching a 30-mile radius from the cell tower where their last phone call was transmitted from.

Rarely do stories like these end happily.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5ivg3H4SVxoJDOECn-VbmiaH9xhvAD9BNR0QO0

2. Chef

Chef Active Member

I have a question.

2 of these girls are from California, and 1 from Canada.

The girl from Canada, I can understand, but what in the world is the reason from leaving warm, sunny California to North Da-dam-kota?

And they play softball. In North Dakota. Their softball season must last about a week.

3. Suicide Squeezer

Suicide Squeezer Active Member

This is sad and I have a bad feeling it's only going to get worse. Stories like this never seem to end well.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

You go where the scholarship money is.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

What level is Dickinson State, though? D-II?

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

NAIA, but they give money.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

DICKINSON, N.D. (AP)_Police: 3 missing North Dakota college softball players found dead in vehicle pulled from pond.

8. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Man. I know some people at the Dickinson newspaper. And was just reading some of the comments on their site about their disappearance (why there'd be comments allowed on a story like this, I don't know, although it looks like the "worst" that happened was a fight between people blaming police for not searching enough).

Anyway, here's a tame one, but still, especially that it appeared likely it was an accident from the start, it's like, "Thanks, Detective. I'm sure the authorities weren't thinking of this until you posted it on the newspaper's site."

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Man. Reading the wire story, and all three were in the car, 12 feet of water, and no one got out?

Something's missing, here.

10. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I don't know. There was a 20/20 special once that had what to do if your car is submerged. Even in a small amount of water, the panic that hits usually does people in.

11. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

The three often would go to the lake to star gaze:

http://news.sympatico.ctv.ca/Home/ContentPosting?newsitemid=CTVNews/20091103/missing_students_091103&feedname=CTV-TOPSTORIES_V3&show=False&number=0&showbyline=True&subtitle=&detect=&abc=abc&date=True

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Even in shallow water you can't open the doors. If you can't roll down the windows (electrical short), then you need something to break a window like a hammer, spark plug or one of the tools they now sell.

Draft saved Draft deleted