1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

3-pointer or three-pointer

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Seahawk, Nov 28, 2007.

1. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

For basketball, which is the proper AP style, 3-point basket or three-point basket?

Thanks for any help.

2. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

According to AP Style Guide, it states that you need to spell out numbers one through nine; 10 and up, use Arabic numerals. The correct form would be three-pointer

3. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Wrong. From "Ask The Editor" on the online Stylebook...

They're not going to say someone was seven of eight from the field. The spelling out of numbers applies in most cases, but not all. All I know is it's 3-pointers. I won't go further, because I'm unsure what's AP style and what's my paper's style.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

3-pointer is AP Style

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yes, 3-pointer.

6. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

3-pointer is what I was taught, but mind you I am learning here in Canada. It could be different elsewhere.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

3-pointer is AP style, the "reasoning" that it makes it less confusing than "three-point play."
    Thankfully, everywhere I've been, it's "three-pointer."

8. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Definitely 3-pointer.

9. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Damn, I should talk to my Content Manager (who I don't think as ANY knowledge of sports) because everytime I put 3-pointer (which I thought was orginally correct), she makes me change it to three-pointer.

10. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

3-pointer, three-point play.

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I always would look at the NBA roundups or stories on the wire and see what was done in those stories to help convince my old boss it should be 3-pointer.

IJAG, I have never seen 3-point lead. In that instance I would definitely write it out.

12. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

My understanding of the rule is that points are always written as Arabic numbers. It's one of a few exceptions to the "always spell out one through nine" rule.

You wouldn't say the score was seven to five early in the game...It was 7-5. In the same way, a player has 3 points, not three points, after he hits a 3-pointer. Obviously, everyone's style differs. I know Sports Illustrated uses "three-pointer," but I think the points-are-numbers argument works.

The same reasoning, at least at my paper, applies to yardage totals in football. I'm pretty sure AP style says yards are always numbers: A team is at the 1-yard line, not the one-yard line. By the same token, a run from the 31-yard line to the 40-yard line gains 9 yards, not nine.

Draft saved Draft deleted