1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

3 out of 5 of us will go broke in retirement

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Lugnuts, Jul 14, 2008.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Plus no booze, no cigs and no STDs, so they'll outlive the rest of us.

2. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Sounds like a freakin' party, where do I sign up? ::)

3. Leo Mazzone

Leo Mazzone Member

Build an emergency fund in a high-yield savings account at ingdirect.com or something similar (3-6 months expenses, more or less depending on your spouse's job/lack thereof). Pay off your credit card debt. Retirement earnings won't mean squat compared to what you lose to interest on credit card debt. Open a Roth IRA and/or max out your 401(k).

Start now. Compound interest is a wonderful thing.

Sounds obvious, but sometimes people (like me) need a little direction.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Savings rate currently does not even cover inflation + taxes on that account.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Dig a hole in the backyard, I say.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

That's why it is for your emergency fund and not your investment vehicle. You want the emergency kitty to be liquid.

7. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Put the emergency fund in a one-year CD and you can get 3.5 percent-plus in the right bank. If you've got the need, which hopefully won't occur, you can hit the CD when it comes due. Worst-case scenario you can cash it in and pay the penalty or charge your emergency expenses on the lowest-rate card you have and pay them off when the CD matures.
    It's not a huge gamble, because odds are much greater you'll be rolling over your CD than you are to be cashing it in for emergency.

8. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

I've heard the "save for retirement" lecture from every single person in my family over 50 in the last six months since I just graduated (and let me tell you, that is a LOT of aunts and uncles).

The thing is...I have the feeling if I retired, I'd pretty much go crazy. I need to have SOMEthing to do every day. I might slow down but I don't see myself completely retiring anyway until I'm in the nursing home.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

That and you won't be able to afford to do so.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Or you'll die of dysentry long before that

11. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Jeebus, our other income is a doctor's salary, and I can't imagine achieving that without living in a cardboard box for a decade. Kudos to you.

12. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

You're six months removed from graduation and you don't think you'll ever want to retire? Talk to me in 25 years. And if you haven't saved squad for retirement in those 25 years, don't ask me for a loan.
    Your family knows what the heck they are talking about.

Draft saved Draft deleted