1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

3 out of 5 of us will go broke in retirement

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Lugnuts, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

http://www.bizjournals.com/washington/stories/2008/07/14/daily6.html

Just to cheer everybody up!

Seriously... I've always thought the whole "just max out on your 401K and you're doing well" thing was suspect. Relying that much on the stock market doesn't seem to make sense... and yet the financial gurus told us it did.

2. pallister

pallister Guest

I'll be shocked if I don't work until the day I die. That is, of course, if I ever get a job. :)

3. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

So why the hell is health care an issue? We don't need it except to keep us healthy for our "economic purposes" as pawns for the chess-playing ruling class. When we retire, just let us rot away in sickness.

4. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

I can understand the other places, but Utah?

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Some of us don't have to wait for retirement...

6. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

There is nothing to do there so nobody spends any money.

7. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

Right. I forgot LaVell Edwards' old line about the Holiday Bowl: "The San Diego people got mad at us because our fans would bring a copy of the Ten Commandments and a $100 bill and break neither."

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Actually, it's 5 of 5 if you stay in journalism...

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Honest to god, that was going to be my post.

I'm making money that's good enough to live on, but I just looked and I've overdrawn my checking account. My savings account is nonexistent. I live a sad, sad life.

10. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Actually surprised it's not higher. The level of retirement savings in this country is appalling--I recall reading a while back that more than half the folks 35 and over had less than $25K in personal savings. Scary to think how many of those are 45 or older in that situation.

And health care is a big deal in all this. Could come to the day where people are using most of their social security funds to pay their Medicare premiums, leaving relatively little left over for luxuries like utilities and food.

11. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Umm, yeah.

Retirement is getting to be a pipe dream for many, but I'd depend on a more impartial source than a company like Americans for a Secure Retirement, which is funded by insurance companies with a vested interest in getting people to buy annuities.

Annuities are debatable tools for retirement because of their ridiculously high fees. Naturally, that explains why insurance companies are hawking them.

Looks like ol' Tierney swallowed the bait here.

12. lono

lono Active Member

Save smarter, not harder, for retirement.

Draft saved Draft deleted