1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

3 NBA playoff questions

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by thebiglead, May 18, 2007.

1. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

You keep saying baseball attendance numbers aren't flawed. Why aren't they? Because I see a lot of empty seats(except for of course Yankees/Sox).

And I'm not sure why you would say that the numbers are so flawed for the NBA. Because quite frankly, I'm not surprised. The NBA is all about star power. Almost every single team in the NBA has a star. So even if the fans don't come to watch the Hawks, they can at least enjoy Kobe, 'Bron, and DWade coming to town.
    I'll also say this. It takes one playoff run to get people to come watch. Just look at GS. They've already been considered as having the best home court advantage in the NBA. Steve Kerr was saying that it was the best experiance he's ever gone through during his time in sports.
    And sometimes, it just takes a team to be competitive. When the Hornets came down to OK, the building was packed for every game.

I just don't get why you guys continue to bash basketball. The kids love playing it, it's really growing outside the US, and now it's got a lot of star power(DWade and LeBron are both in the top 5 for most marketable athlete). You also got rivalries starting up(Phx vs. SA vs. Dal/Detroit vs. Mia/Det. vs. Cleveland/Wade vs. LeBron).

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

The attendance argument is cracking me up.

The Los Angeles Lakers averaged 18,000 fans this season. So far, the Dodgers are averaging 45,000, and they play twice as many home games.

After 16 games this season, the New York Yankees had drawn more fans than the Knicks did over their entire season. It took the Mets 18 games.

The Brewers are averaging 30,000 so far. The Bucks averaged 16,000.

Even the Tigers are pulling 10,000 more per game than the Pistons, and again, that's with twice as many home games.

Baseball owners would be in an absolute panic if their attendance dropped to NBA levels.

3. Chuck~Taylor

Um....that's what happens when you have bigger stadiums/arenas.

The NBA attendance is not a joke. During the 05/06 season, the average/total NBA attendance was the highest in NBA history. That's right, even better than the 80's and 90's.

Highest Average NBA Regular Season Attendance
    1. 2005-06 17,558
    2. 2004-05 17,314
    3. 1995-96 17,252
    4. 1997-98 17,135
    5. 1996-97 17,077
    6. 2003-04 17,050
    7. 2001-02 16,973
    8. 2002-03 16,883
    9. 1999-00 16,870
    10. 2000-01 16,784

Highest Total NBA Regular Season Attendance
    1. 2005-06 21,595,804
    2. 2004-05 21,296,497
    3. 1995-96 20,513,218
    4. 1997-98 20,373,079
    5. 1996-97 20,304,629
    6. 2003-04 20,272,195
    7. 2001-02 20,181,131
    8. 2002-03 20,074,369
    9. 1999-00 20,058,513
    10. 2000-01 19,955,981

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Chuck, read this slowly, there is no expectation for a baseball team to sellout every game. Never has been. They play 81 home games a year, versus 41 for the NBA who play in venues no more than half the size. You're comparing apples and oranges and it's not a valid point. It would be like looking at NFL total attendance and claiming they're losing popularity because their total pales next to both MLB and the NBA while ignoring the fact each team plays eight home games.

And I'm not bashing basketball. You're bashing baseball, which is fine, but you're using uninformed, easily shot down, straight from the NBA P.R. department reasons for ripping it and you need to understand that you're drinking Kool-Aid that has been sitting in its pitcher since the 1980s at least.

You cited another red herring in your last post -- the game growing by leaps and bounds overseas. That has also been bandied about for at least 20 years and there's a lot of truth to it, but it isn't any indication that baseball is dying. As if there's room for only one sport to thrive.

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

And it's what happens when you have more people who want to go to baseball games than basketball games.

It doesn't matter how big MSG is -- the Knicks didn't sell out their games. Neither did the Bucks. The Lakers didn't either, but they came damn close.

6. Bubbler

Chuck, dammit you're smarter than this! Stop using raw numbers without context!

Let's say I accept your point, which I don't because I've already cited why NBA attendance numbers are pure BS, lets look at context.

The NBA had 21 teams in the 1980s, many playing in arenas smaller than today. The Milwaukee Arena, where the Bucks played when I was a kid, barely tipped over 11,000 capacity.

Today, there are 30 NBA teams, most playing in venues from 15,000-20,000. So yeah, numbers will go up.

Give me what percentage of capacity NBA arenas have filled in both eras and we'll get down to business. Of course the NBA will claim some ridiculous number like they fill 97 percent of their arenas right now, which is total and utter garbage.

7. Chuck~Taylor

I don't know bubbler. I had season tickets for the Pistons this year and it was packed for every game.

Thanks for the info. I didn't know it was like that. You gotta understand. I'm not in this to be a dick. I'm just trying to learn about things. I used to think what you guys are saying was true in HS(which was just last year). But now that I'm college I'm seeing more people from around the country tell me about how baseball is in their area. Now I'm starting to think "Wow, kids really don't like this stuff". I
    'm not trying to hate baseball. That's ignorance. You have to have an open mind. I would love to watch baseball and enjoy it. Why? Because I love sports. I love the competitiveness. But......it's just boring to watch.

8. Bubbler

Fine. Just stick with its "boring to watch" instead of extrapolating that to "the sport is dying". I have no problem with you thinking baseball is boring. To each his own.

9. RAMBO

RAMBO Member

1. Yes they need him cause Kidd and Jefferson alone will not have much success.

2. I don't think anyone has an answer for that one.

3. If the Suns would have froced a game 7 yesterday and went on to win the series then the Jazz would have a better chance of beating them.

10. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

Amen to that

Draft saved Draft deleted