1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

3 Gannett papers going to 3-days-per-week

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Steak Snabler, Mar 8, 2017.

1. Dr StrangePork

Dr StrangePork New Member

Just heard from a buddy at one of the Gannett Texas papers that they are all going to 7pm deadlines. That's a brilliant way to kill sports!

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

"These changes are reflective of our ever-changing landscape. Our readers come first to us, and this change means that we will be able to further serve our readers with the best journalism and on-line web presence in our region. This early deadline allows our content creators to be more nimble in our Newsroom of the Future of Local Information Centers ... blah, blah, blah ..."

3. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I heard all but the major metro dailies across Gannett are doing this. From what a friend told me, the regional publisher that's over them visited for the announcement and was peppered with questions about what the "pros" are for this decision, but he never had an answer - even a bad one.

Just kill off the entire print product. It would be more humane at this point.

4. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Gannett is going to diminish their non-metro product to the point where GateHouse will buy them.

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Hahahahah!!!

6. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

The question that needs to be asked is a fairly simple financial question -- does the revenue generated by the print product cover the costs to produce and distribute it?

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

With all the staff-cutting and consolidation of the production process, I think it probably still does in most cases ... just not at the margins the parent company would like.

8. writestuff1

writestuff1 Member

I wonder how much it would cost for a local to buy the Hattiesburg paper considering the current status of the newspaper business.

9. CAsportshack

CAsportshack Member

Same thing's true with The Spectrum & Daily News (St. George/Cedar City, Utah). And their deadline is 6 pm

10. CAsportshack

CAsportshack Member

Translation: Sports DOES NOT MATTER to the higher-ups.

11. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

That's late compared to what I heard.

There are 5 p.m. across the board deadlines coming to the smaller Gannett New Jersey outposts next week, all but the Bergen Record and Asbury Park Press... probably the Courier-Post too. Sports sections are going down to two templated pages, no clue if it's separate or all in one with news/life/etc. There will be no more game coverage, just pre-written features -- and only one freelance assignment allowed per paper per week.

I don't know whether there will be web-only content to supplement the single local story per day... or whether there will be layoffs. The Journal Media Group yearlong policy against cutting staff after the acquisition will be ending in a few weeks, just in time to goose a new quarter.

12. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I think charging $18 a month for three days a week will run many of the remaining subscribers off in towns like Hattiesburg. Most of the advertising that is left seems to be retail inserts. I wonder if at some point, probably pretty quickly, it would make more sense for Gannett to just close down Hattiesbrug. They could maintain some of the local editorial staff and produce a shopper twice a week, using Jackson, USA Today and some local material that would be produced by the Jackson newspaper and would include the advertising inserts. If someone really hankers for paid home delivery Gannett could mail a paper to them. Would the reduced costs exceed the reduced revenues? Maybe not yet but the time may be coming because of the continuing decline in subscriptions.

Draft saved Draft deleted