1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

3 Arkansas basketballers investigated for rape

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Sep 9, 2009.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The story breaks, and less than five hours later the PA announces no charges will be filed.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hQhXZ_Ghmr8oeEt6xxH7LK2esQYgD9AK2TDG2

But then the alt-weekly in Little Rock includes this nugget of info ...

http://www.arktimes.com/blogs/arkansasblog/2009/09/athletes_in_ua_rape_probe.aspx

2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

From the AP story:
    But Threet said witness interviews and statements from the woman didn't show that she was unaware a sex act occurred or that she was unable to say no — circumstances that could lead to sexual assault charges.

I think I could read that sentence 100 times and still not know what it means.

3. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Has anyone seen the names of the players accused? I ask only because there are a couple of transfers there who I covered at their previous schools.

4. KP

KP Active Member

seemd in paragraph 3 of the initial link.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Too bad they're not playing Oklahoma in Miami next week.

VERY ancient callback.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Be interesting to see how this is covered by the NW Arkansas media.

There was a sexual assault involving members of the basketball team back in the early 90s and one of the TV stations up there ran with the names of the accused players based on an unnamed source. For whatever reason, the station came down really hard on one player in particular.

Well, it turned out that the player they zeroed in on wasn't among the accused and he sued the TV station. For that reason, the call letters for KPOM from that point forward were said to stand for:

Keep
    Paying
    Oliver
    Miller

Draft saved Draft deleted