1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

3,800 jobs lost in 2014

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by UNCGrad, Jul 29, 2015.

1. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

2. TexasVet

TexasVet Active Member

Add me to the list of 2015. I left on my own though and have no desire in going back full time working for the man. But I'll hawk freelance gigs while working on my own in another venture.

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I'm surprised there were that many jobs left to lose in 2014.

4. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

To put this in some perspective: The newspaper I worked at for many years had peak newsroom staffing of about 365 in 2003. So the equivalent of more than 10 early 2000s major-metro newsrooms vanished in a year. And who knows how many years of experience and institutional knowledge went away.

5. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

The sad part is that when I saw that number, it actually seemed low to me.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

It seems like Gannett hasn't been doing as much slashing and burning as of lately*. In the late aughts, they were chopping thousands a year.

* I hope I didn't jinx anything.

7. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

Breezed through the story, and maybe I missed it, but is the story just talking about dailies, or all newspapers? If all, then count me among the lost because the weekly where I worked for 19 of its 20 years of existence closed shop last fall.

8. Mauve_Avenger

Mauve_Avenger Member

The really incredible information is looking at the graph from 2006 to 2014. Basically 20,000 jobs gone in 9 years.

9. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Copee editers is rredundantt.

10. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Write for one for a general sports/opinion website for free and it will pay off.

11. Preps

Preps New Member

How?

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

It's a crossthread joke.

Preps likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted